RAM that's bad!

stevenbob0

Baseband Member
Grrrrrr Im so frustrated that I might just go jump off a bridge. But before I do that I thought I would post a forum about this problem im having.

Well first of I bought an Emachine T3406. When I brought it home, I decided that it needed more RAM. I was trying to decide if I should buy 1Gig or a 512. Finally made up my mined and bout the 512 thinking that I could add to it later. So I was looking for it on Ebay and found some value select Corsair RAM going for $37 When I finally got the RAM in the mail I ripped open the package and stuck the RAM in my computer. It worked for about 3 days then one night I came home and found my computer restarting over and over again. I found out my 5 year old sister was playing office the night before and just randomly pressing buttons on the keyboard.

So here is my problem. The computer keeps restarting when I have my 512 Ram in but when I take it out and just leave the 256 it rung great. Also it seems to be running slower then before but may be that's just because I gout uses to running it with 512 RAM. I have tried it in every ram slot on the computer but it still doesn't work. Any thing I try to do seems to fail. Im starting to think it just a bad peace of RAM. If you guys know who I could solve this problem. Pleas let me now before I go insane.

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it.

Here are links to the RAM and the Computer that I bought if you guys need more just let me know
Emachine
RAM

Hmmm, that RAM should work with your eMachine. But like you said, the problem stopped as soon as you pulled the RAM out. The constant restarting 'could' be a result of a bad RAM module. Have you tried just putting in the Corsair by itself and take the original RAM out?

list specs for ur MOBO, and the different rams you currently own (the company and speed please)

might very well be possible you bought slower ram chips, even with more ram, it will run slower!

I can tell you that his motherboard without knowing the specs for that it supports these type RAMs:

Dual-Channel DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM

He's using an Intel 865GV chipset, so he's got to have compatible RAM already. Ths Corsair one he bought is a PC3200 (DDR400) and the stock RAM he has in his eMachine already has 256MB DDR (1x256MB) 400MHz (PC3200) module in it.

hmm.. it should be working then... bump :(

actually.. try switching the 256's spot with the 512 and vice versa.. see how that turns out

Wait a freaking minute!!!!! Dual Channel support. He's got that. Do you think it's possible that to have 2 memory sticks in there, he has to have two exact same size RAM sticks?!?!? Isn't that how dual channel works?

yeah, they both either need to be 512 or 256... you sure it's dual channel? cuz if thats the case.. that MUST be it.. but i think thats impossible.. considering he used to run it with just one 256 :)

Dual channel boards can use a single RAM stick in there. It just won't be in dual channel mode. If you do happen to have two sticks of RAM in there, the logic picks it up as dual channel. I remember reading that they must be same size to work. Yeah, like 2x 256MB or 2x 512MB configurations. Ok, this may very well solve the problem. Corsair RAM's are generally pretty reliable.

Try this first. Pull the 256 MB stick out. Plug in the new Corsair 512MB to see if it works. If works, buy another 512MB stick and you now have a new dual channel 1GB system!!!

Back
Top Bottom