Ram question

Similar spec board to mine.

It's pretty easy if you understand that the CPU, RAM, QPI link and UnCore all run from a clock called the Base Clock(BCLK).

The BCLK for your rig is probably @ 133Mhz and the CPU multiplier @ 21. Multiply the two together and you get 2800Mhz, the running speed of your CPU. So move on to the RAM. The RAM multiplier will be at 8 because 133 * 8 = 1066. And the same goes for the QPI and UnCore speeds. BCLK is the main clock that everything runs off, they just use multipliers to increase the BCLK to get the running speed.

All you need to do is increase the RAM multiplier to X12 to get 1600Mhz RAM speed. But I would also manually set the other settings too.

If your not familiar with BIOS's then familiarize yourself with it first.

ok, because i want to be 1333, ill set the ram multiplier to 10, maybe 11.

You suggest to manually set the other settings too, what do you mean? why is it best to do that, i dont want to overclock my cpu or other stuff, i want everything to be stock really, except the ram seeing as its too low

ok, because i want to be 1333, ill set the ram multiplier to 10, maybe 11.

That's sweet. Still an underclock for the RAM though.

You suggest to manually set the other settings too, what do you mean? why is it best to do that, i dont want to overclock my cpu or other stuff, i want everything to be stock really, except the ram seeing as its too low

I personally like to manually set the CPU and RAM speed/timings so I know what they are. If you leave them on 'Auto' then the motherboard determines the settings. More so when you have Intel Turbo mode enabled cause it can hike up the voltages, too high for my liking, for a really small overclock. I'm not saying that you must overclock but I would still go in and manually set everything to run at standard speeds.

I overclocked it to 1333, and my windows index score stayed the exact same, which is 5.9.

also, when i increased the multiplier the uncore frequency increased, what is uncore, and should i do something so that it doesnt increase when i increase the ram multiplier

Im gonna up it to 1600, but the uncore frequency goes up to 3200 or something like that, should i set the uncore frequency to manual

I've had the UnCore running close to 4000 stable. 3200 is a walk in the park for the i7's. It's the QPI speed of the i7 EE chips.

Don't rely on the Windows Experience Score.

Orginally my ram was at 1066, then i upped it to 1333, i saw a difference in benchmarks, but the latency went down by 5, then i upped it to 1600, and everything stay the same, benchmarks scores are latency? should i be concerned about latency and why did i not see an improvement by going up to 1600 (which is actually the default speed for my ram

I know that you are trying to raise it, but honestly I run my DDR3-2000 at 1066, simply because I can keep the CAS and CR down. It's better to have a lower speed and tighter timings than vice-versa.

benchmarks are not Latency.

Also, if your running an Intel chip.

Keep your ram and QPI or what ever it is called, to a 1:1 ratio. that would help your benchmarks.
Though im no pro on Intel...

Back
Top Bottom