ram question

darkange1

Beta member
Okay, I got my ram to work, but I just wanted to ask somthing. I have 2 x 512mb Corsair CMX512-3200C2 xms ram. I purchased one back in June and just purchased another 512mb a few days ago. After I installed the 2nd stick of ram, the computer wouldnt work.. just stable beeps signaling that there was a memory error. I looked at the label on each stick and I noticed my old stick was version 1.5 and the new stick version was 5.2. I then changed slots with the sticks ( new ram in dimm1, old in dimm2). Now I tried to boot and it works and reads both sticks. I dont know why they wouldnt work in the other order? This is basically for future reference to me to know the newest version or ram comes first. Also, my dimm slots are so close on my mobo that i had to take the metal clips on each stick off so the ram wouldn't touch. I didn't know if they would ground out on each other or not so didn't take the chance. Will the clips not being on hurt anything? And my final question is if since I have lifetime warrenty on both sticks, could I renew my old stick(v1.5) with a new version(5.2) of the exact ram? I ask this because with everest home edition, it reads that the newest ram has different timings - as the follow on version 1.5

@ 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.0-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
and now on version 5.2

@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Depending on some boards, the lower speeds goes on the first. Some others is the second.

the only thing I don't get is why does the older ram have better timings at same clock speeds?

And no, I doubt that they will change ur ram to the newer version.

Back
Top Bottom