RAM failed after MemTest 86.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Well I new this would had to happen to me someday.

As some of you might know I had just updated my PC with P6T deluxe V2, i7 920 & 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM.

I had tried OC this system last night, but wasn't very successful. I did a MemTest 86 v2.11 and it had failed after a few min. I was able to narrow it down to a single ram stick.

Since this build is very different from all other builds I did, i just want to check if I did the memtest correctly. I had BCLK set to 133 in BIOS (standard) and had my RAM volts set to 1.64v as well as C1 disabled. MemTest was standard.

I don't have much XP with newegg RMA procedures, how exactly will this work? Will they resend me an entire set or just 1 stick?

Thanks.

Usually, they require you to send back the entire pack of RAM (if it was more than a single stick in each set of packaging) and then they'll send you a new set.

Thank you celegorm,

Well i think I made a mistake, and need ur suggestion if I still should proceed with this RMA or not.

I had the ram volts set to 1.64v but this rams standard volts are 1.5v-1.6v. Once i changed it 1.6v I was able to get 1h of MemTest stable (about 1 and half loop) I will do a full test over night.

So with 1.64v one of the sticks fail after 5 min, but with 1.6v I was able to get at least 1h stable for now, my question is will I need to be raising RAM volts above standard when I will be Overcloking my i7 920? (would like to go for the 4Ghz mark).

Thank you.

This is my ram if anyone is wondering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1225&cm_re=1600_g_skill-_-20-231-225-_-Produc

There are 2 ways to increase a CPU's speed:

1. Increase the multiplier.
  2. Increase the bus speed.

Usually, RAM is overclocked if the user overclocks the FSB (Bus speed). The reason why is because of the RAM:CPU ratio. Most of the times, the user ends up increasing both of these, but for the best overall performance, it is in your interest to increase the bus speed (because it also overclocks the RAM). Ultimately, if you want to get the most possible out of your overclock, get a new set that can withstand higher voltages. If you just want a reasonably good overclocking without putting in the money for all that you can, no need to return the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom