RAM compatability question

jcon891

Daemon Poster
Hi, i built my computer a couple years ago and I have 2 sticks of 1GB Corsair DDR PC3200 (200MHz) ram in it. I've had a brand new stick of ram that has been around since i built it but i never opened it or bothered to put it in.

I looked at it the other day and figured if i could put it in my computer, I would. But this new stick is ULTRA DDR 512MB PC3200 ram with 400MHz frequency.

Is it okay to install a stick of ram that has a different frequency?

Thanks

Yup, it's the speed memory as the Corsair you have already. They are both PC3200 DDR400 memory.

PC3200 runs on a 200MHz FSB double pumped to 400MHz, hence the DDR (Dual Data Rate) in it's description.

okay, thank you and sorry if i don't understand completely. i'm trying to.

I don't really get it. Each single 1GB stick of my corsair says (in CPUZ) that they have a 200MHz frequency. I just don't understand how they are actually 400MHz. If I put my ULTRA 512 stick in, will that read as 400MHz? and if it does, why would the corsair each run on a 200MHz FSB?

I might just not understand what you mean by "double pumped"... is it split up between the 2 sticks i have to equal 400MHz when they are both installed? If i took one of my corsair sticks out, would the remaining one read 400MHz instead of 200?

Thanks, sorry again if i seem a bit slow :p

I understand much better now. i wasn't understanding that all PC3200 = 200MHz DDR, and that 200MHz DDR = 400MHz. :) thank you for that

Back
Top Bottom