RAID1 member offline after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobot

Solid State Member
I have spent the last week setting up a "fakeRAID" RAID1 array using the BIOS settings of my GA-P35-DS4 Motherboard. I have Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit and Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed. Every time I shut down the machine properly and start it up again, my second HD is designated as "offline" and my computer cannot boot (which seems odd to me - shouldn't the boot flag be set on both drives intrinsically?). Restarting the computer does not cause this problem - I can use GRUB2 to boot into any OS I choose.

I have read about others with this problem, but they reported it being resolved after updating the BIOS to the newest version (mine is at the newest version, F14).

I can get the computer working properly again in the following ways:

1.Booting from an Ubuntu liveCD, running "sudo dmraid -ay", and rebooting.
or
2. Switching the controller to AHCI mode, booting into Ubuntu, running "sudo dmraid -ay", rebooting, and switching the controller to RAID mode.

The newest Intel RAID software for the ICH9R controller reports a healthy setup in Vista.

In case it matters, I have never been able to update Vista to SP2 (no RAID) and both my Vista and Ubuntu installs are fresh. When I tried updating a newly installed Vista to SP1 (manually; I could not get Windows Update to install more than 9 out of over 100 updates) after activating my RAID array for the first time, it could not proceed due to multiple file corruption errors (!! 0xc0190036 !!) unresolvable with chkdisk /f. Since this failure, I reinstalled the OS yet again and have purchased an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit disk in the hope that I will not encounter similar problems.

The new Ubuntu install is running perfectly save for a few memory leak errors when running "sudo update-grub".

HD setup:

RAID1 Array "SmallRAID" (contains Ubuntu and Vista partitions)
750 GB drive (now always online, used to go offline after shutdown before BIOS update from version F8 to F14)
750 GB drive (offline after shutdown)

RAID1 Array "LargeRAID"
1.5 TB drive (always online)
1.5 TB drive (always online)

What can I do to resolve this besides never shutting down the computer or restoring RAID to online with one of the long workarounds listed above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom