RAID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chveu

Solid State Member
I have a system with one Maxtor SATA disk of 80 GB. I'm running Win XP Pro. I would like to add a second identical disk, and configure RAID 1, mirroring. The question is, how is it done, and can it be done without reinstalling the whole system? The mainbord is a A7V880. Thx in advance for the response.

Depend on your OS, you can only setup RAID on 2000, Server and XP Pro, but you have to convert both harddrive to dynamic in adminstrator tools/computer management/disk management.

It's usually done via software, your motherboard should provide you with one. Connect the second harddrive (make sure they are identical, same size same brand) to the secondary sata connector and whatever software you will use follow the instruction on how to set up mirroring.

You don't have to reinstall your OS, it's just like adding a new hardware.

You can not go back to basic if you are in dynamic.

My girlfriend has a lot of important school documents on that PC. We also have 15 GB of digital pictures, an amount wich is growing each few weeks. They all are pictures of holidays, party's, weekend trips, reunions, family,......pictures you don't wan't to lose. And not to forget, a lot of music we ripped from our own CD's, wich took a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom