RAID Controller really needed?

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
I'm putting together yet another computer for a coworker, and he's requested a RAID 0 setup with two 300GB raptors.

We'll be using this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813188049

I know the motherboard itself supports a variety of RAID setups, but should I stick with this option for the RAID 0? Or should he purchase a RAID controller as well? My limited research on this topic shows that having a RAID controller will offer faster speeds and less lag, since it's controlled off the card and not by software.

Your thoughts?

Chris

I always thought they were the same but the one on the mobo was just integrated into the mobo like an integrated sound card or NIC port. Didn't think software was doing it since I can control my RAID straight through the mobo BIOS.

On a side note, I was told not to do RAID0 when I asked about doing it unless the extra space is needed. One drive is lost, all data lost. I'm glad I didn't do it too because my brand new drive failed not long after I setup a RAID1 array with an older drive and the brand new one.

I don't think you'd see much of a difference between the two. Both are hardware RAIDs (Software doesn't yet support RAID 0 last I heard).

If I were you, I'd just stick with the one that's on-board.

^ Absolutely. Most Onboard controllers are pretty damn good; ESPECIALLY Intel's ICH10R. A RAID controller would just be expensive an unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom