Raid 1 Bluescreens installing WHS

Redpill

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

Built a home server about a week ago and still having some trouble getting it up and running, basically I'm getting a BSOD 0x07B (Inaccessible Boot Device) after the "Setup is Starting Windows" message during the setup. I'm trying to install a copy of Windows Home Server (based on Server 2003), image downloaded straight off Microsoft's website. The CD is fine, I've had it installed on another machine and WHS installs fine when the system is out of RAID.

System specs:
Tsunami Case & 430W Thermaltake PSU
Foxconn Skt775 P9657AA-8EKRS2H (Latest BIOS 638F1P51)
Intel C2D E4300 (1.8Ghz Dual Core) w/ aftermarket cooler
1gb DDR2-800 Corsair (for now)
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm Desktop drive x2 (RAID1)
Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm Desktop drive x2 (RAID1)
Onboard SATA RAID Controller: Intel ICH8R Raid Controller

I downloaded the Intel Matrix RAID drivers off Foxconn's website and during the initial setup they detect the drives just fine, however it still bluesceens in the same position. I tried downloading the ICH8R RAID drivers straight from Intel's website but had less luck. All of the drives have passed a short Seatools test and Windows still won't install to either the 1TB Mirror or the 1.5TB Mirror.

I've been copying the RAID drivers during setup using a perfectly good 16GB flash drive formatted as FAT32. I did try copying the raid drivers using a floppy drive but, well, have you ever tried to dig up a floppy drive and disk that work? :rolleyes: I'll buy one from work today.

I suspect the issue is related to either:

- The raid drivers I'm using.
- The raid controller on the motherboard
- The way I'm copying the raid drivers

Any suggestions? :(

Update: System installed Windows 7 Corporate perfectly with the RAID intact, I'm going to say RAID driver maybe? Controller is obviously working fine.

I'd agree that it seems to be drivers. I'm going to guess the drivers are for Windows Server '03 and may not work on Windows Home Server. I've never heard of Home Server so I don't know much about it, but based on everything here I'm guessing its drivers.

Success!

Had to use a FDD to load the drivers. The first part of the setup you can use a USB drive but the second part you can't. Thanks Microsoft, haha.

Cheers for the advice.

Hi too all my dear friends hope all will be fine. i want to purchase a personal computer so can someone help me about the configuration of computer which is best for personal use.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom