Radeon RX Vega 56

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

That's the website I always use to compare CPUs, GPUs, etc.

They have a specific benchmark tool they use 'Performance Test'.

When running it I get a 3D graphics score of 8760, whereas the average is 11,400 or so... and it's really bugging me.

Don't let it bother you. Those are synthetic tests. Games and MSI Afterburner are at your disposal to make your peace with. Or just play and forget about it if the games run fine. One's better off not bother with bottlenecks in games unless they run uncomfortably outside the target performance.

The link takes me to this very page.

Well, the higher the resolution the less CPU is used and the load goes to the GPU. CPU becomes more irrelevant then, even tho still used. CPU usage going down there is a normal thing. That's why your build on that older CPU didn't struggle to go on par with theirs. Keep in mind that it doesn't mean you get better performance. This only reduces the CPU bottleneck possibility (this is only relevant when it's related to graphics. If it's AI relevant like in some huge multiplayer games, the load won't move from CPU to GPU. But that's a different story). If your GPU variant is of better factory clock, then it makes sense that you're better. Remember that also few more or less frames per second could be within the error margin. If your results are close to theirs, just consider it equal.
I agree with everything here.
One's better off not bother with bottlenecks in games unless they run uncomfortably outside the target performance.
With this too. If there is a bottleneck or not shouldn't be your main concern. If you feel you are lacking some power, and you want to narrow down the culprit, then sure, go ahead and test. Testing just because is a waste of time.

Hi guys,

I've just installed mall my new components and now getting the results I'm expecting on a variation of performance tests.

However, rather bizarrely, when I run the DX12 (on PerformanceTest) test I was getting an average of 35 FPS which I thought was very odd (was 40fps before)

Then I realised beforehand I may have had Virtual Super Resolution disabled. So I enabled it and the average jumped to 52 FPS? Can anyone explain why this is?

Bear in mind that even enabling Virtual Super Resolution the test still reports that it's 'unable to run at desired resolution of 4k' and therefore I still get a penalised FPS?

VSR is not just a matter of enabling. In what resolution(s) did you run the tests of this comparison? If it is the same resolution, whither VSR is enabled or disabled, the results should be similar on the same PC. On the other hand, the newer PC could give better results than the old one because it makes less sudden hiccups/stuttering due to better hardware. Did you run the tests several times to clear first/second run stuttering and reduce error margin? If under the same settings you got 40fps on the old PC and 35fps on the new one, it could be within the error margin. I see it's strange that VSR status increased the average to 52fps.

Then again I could be wrong. I don't have much experience in VSR and Nvidia's DSR expect for one single test on the latter on my current PC. There could be something hidden between the lines.

Back
Top Bottom