quick upgrde recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayeayre

Solid State Member
Hi, not sure if i am in the right section, i haven't been keeping up with everything since my last build so i am looking for some help to get me on the right track.

At first all i wanted to do is upgrade my cpu to one that has virtualization support (or hardware virtualization whatever it's called) because i wanted to setup linux with windows that way.
Anyway, i found out that my board wont take any cpu that has this feature so i am now looking for a new cpu and a new board..
i don't know where to start.
I was planning a complete system build this year (towards the end i would say) and i have a lot on my plate at the moment in terms on finances so I'm not after a beast, as long as it is better than what I have now (don't want to downgrade) but is the cheapest option all up.

I wouldn't mind something that could have reasonable overclock speeds if i do decide to in the future.

I would love to put in together this week as it is my last week of holidays and i have the time now..

any help will be much appreciated.
thank you.

couldn't find any signature settings in user cp so here is my current system:

MB: DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert...CPU: AMD Opteron 170 (stock cooling & not OC)...RAM: OCZ 2x1gb Gold edition GX XTC PC4000 3-4-3-8...GRAPHICS: EVGA GeFORCE 7900GT...HDD: OS;2x80gb Seagate drives (stripe), Storeage;1x300gb Seagate, 1x500gb SATA external drive (USB)...PSU: ZALMAN 750w...OS: Windows XP Pro 32bit sp3

Unfortunately you have a socket 939 motherboard which are dead. So do I btw.
It is pretty difficult and relatively expensive to find a replacement 939 chip. I do not remember where the opty 170 was in the lineup but the optys came towards the end and were some of the best 939 chips made.

Most likely you are looking at a new mb, cpu and ram.

wanted to stay well under $1000au..

atm i was set with: m/b: GB UD3P - cpu:intel Q6600 - ram: g.skill 4gb f2 ddr2 800mhz 5-5-5-15 cc5
just need a cooler now. i was recomended a xigmatek, but i would have to order that in, so i want to go with something else that i can get from a local shop.
thanks

sunbeam core contact?

if you can get one of those jump on it..
also the TRUE or Tuniq Tower are solid options.

OK, these guys will help you, but you have to send me that Opty once you get the new build up and running.
a045.gif

Well, it would be really nice if you did...
clever6613.gif

hefemeister knows what he's talking about for sure, and I know my way around computers pretty **** well if I say so myself ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom