Quick Question

abland007

Baseband Member
OK= I am about one step away from having my computer ready to rock. But I need to ask a few questions first. I have an old HD that stores all of my stuff that I need including Windows. Can I boot from that hard drive on a brand new computer and transfer the data and windows to my new HD. Then change the new HD to my primary? Or do I need to have the windows disk? I cant find my disk and would like to just boot from my old HD

You will run into problems doing this, because windows XP checks the hardware configuration against the one stored on the HDD

So will I need to just run the XP disk at startup on my new rig? Also, will I have to put all the CD's in for the drivers to new HD/vid card/ mouse/ mobo etc........

You will probably need to do a clean install, with your XP disc. If you have built this system yourself, then you should have all the drivers on CD, otherwise just download them off the net, save them to CD and install them once ya system is up and running

I have one more question. I bought a motherboard http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=G452-2558

and it was dead on arrival. Insteedof them sending me another one, I choose to go out and get one myself. My question is I have a Geforce 7950 gt oc video card and I was wondering if there is a differance between the PCI Express and the PCI express x 16. Is this the same thing or do I need to find a board with the pci- e x16. Also, how much of a differance does it make?

9 times out of ten when something refers to PCI express its refering to the 16x PCI express slots (which most new motherboards have). if it requires the 1x or 4x PCI express slots, it will let you know in enlish.

Thank you for your help. I was wondering one more thing

What is the differance between chipsets on motherboards. I have 2 motherboards one with a 945g and one with a 890t chipset. They both cost the same, but I dont know which one to put into my new rig and I was wondering which one to use. They both are the exact same other than the chipset.

Also- is this a decent board or a piece of crap

ECS Elite Group p4m89ot-m2

Back
Top Bottom