Quick Overclocking Help Opteron 165 (Rep 4 ya)

LambOfGod

Fully Optimized
Ok guys i wanna go out tonight and drink some beer, but first i need help overclocking

I keep running into a brick wall , and ither my windows will blue screen or my system wont POst and i need to reset the BIOS.

My specs are

ABIT Kn8 Ultra
AMD Opteron 165 My stepping is CCBBE 0616XPMW (Stock Cooler)
RP 550 Watt PSU
4X 512MB of Coarsair XMS

The highest i pushed it myself was 2.2 GHZ
these were my settings
HT=auto
FSB=250
RAM Speed=266
9X multiplier
stock Voltage
temps are 30C (CPU)

MY GOAL is 2.6 to 2.7 GHZ

Can you boys help me get there

First off, turn the HT multiplier down to 3. If you leave the FSB at 250 then turn it down to 4.

Second you are probably going to need to increase the voltage. Probably to somthing around 1.45 at first, then 1.5. The highest I go with air cooling for everyday use is 1.55v.

Also, remember that not all processors will overclock the same, my 165 can only get up to about 2.5ghz. But from searching your stepping it seems to usually do much better.

To reset the bios,unplug the pc from the power outlet,take out the clock battery and wait about 5 minutes,put the clock battery back in,plug the pc back in the wall and ur bios is reset.

neodude112320 said:
To reset the bios,unplug the pc from the power outlet,take out the clock battery and wait about 5 minutes,put the clock battery back in,plug the pc back in the wall and ur bios is reset.

Actually it depends on certain machines, on this particular one you can leave the power in, move the jumper to the CLRCMOS position and power it on, then move it back to the original and your good to go.

Anyway you should re-read my original post, i'm not asking how to clear BIOS.

The Amish Kid said:
First off, turn the HT multiplier down to 3. If you leave the FSB at 250 then turn it down to 4.

Second you are probably going to need to increase the voltage. Probably to somthing around 1.45 at first, then 1.5. The highest I go with air cooling for everyday use is 1.55v.

Also, remember that not all processors will overclock the same, my 165 can only get up to about 2.5ghz. But from searching your stepping it seems to usually do much better.

HT multiplier, down to 3, alright sounds good.

what should i do with my RAM timings?

LambOfGod said:

Didn't see this thread...posted in the other. But loosen them. You want to factor everything out of the equation before you wonder why you can't get a better overclock on your processor. So making the RAM slower eliminates the possibility of the RAM holding you back. From my experience, if I lower it too much, it won't even boot. E.g. from 2.5-3-3-6 to 3-4-4-12 But that's just for my stuff... I'm not sure what's causing it, because I believe it should work. I don't really understand in full detail what they all mean, so maybe I have the RAS (last number) too high? Regardless...lower the HT multi to 3x and loosen the timings of your RAM. That should allow you to get a nice overclock. Once you get as high as you want to go on the processor, that's when you worry about optimizing the timings and the HT multi.

LambOfGod said:
HT multiplier, down to 3, alright sounds good.

What model of the XMS do you have?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by ram speed 266. Do you mean 166(instead of 266) as in a divider? If that's what you mean you should probably drop the CAS to 2.5. If that doesn't help try lowering it to 3. After that start lowering RAS# to CAS# and RAS Precharge

in the BIOS in my motherboard it asks for the RAM speed

DDR 200
DDR266
DDR33
DDR400
DDR500

Ect

OK Here are some pics

MY CPU is NOT stable @ 2.53 GHZ right now
It will not Run 3d Mark 03.......

Here are some pics

I have tried to increase the voltage, but it wont let me go any higher than 283FSB, otherwise My windows will Blue screen.

We are almost at my goal... of 2.6

LambOfGod said:
I have tried to increase the voltage, but it wont let me go any higher than 283FSB, otherwise My windows will Blue screen.

How high did you increase it to? I, as The Amish Kid suggested, wouldn't go over 1.55 with air cooling, but up to that is fine (for me). And sometimes it helps to raise the Northbridge and/or Southbridge voltage a bit, but I know you just bought the processor though and probably don't want to risk much of anything with it nor the motherboard. You could probably go to 1.6V on the processor, but that .05 less gives it a nice safe cushion. My Windows would blue screen when I was at 2.8GHz @ 1.4 volts, but when I upped it to 1.5, it was perfectly stable. But nice job so far, that's a nice overclock. Those Optys amaze me sometimes. I may just have to get me one with those steppings they're shipping out. :D

Back
Top Bottom