quick networking question...

twistedangelwin

Beta member
Another quick networking question...

Edited 31.12.05. Considering my posts would virtually be almost next to each other, I figured I'd edit my post with the new question:

So, I'm in the process of setting up my home network, but am having a slight issue. I've been told that I need to go to my routers page and enable NAT. With the assistance of this I know what NAT is but for the life of me I cannot identify anything on my routers page that seems like the possible option. I've got a Wireless D-Link DI-524 G Router, anyone familiar with this and knows what exactly I'm meant to be changing?

Now, incase anyone is interested here is the actual problem that enabling NAT is meant to fix.
So, after much reading and researching I decided today would be the day I'd set up the network in our house. What I'd decided seemed a pretty easy task, has now got me so completely baffeled (after even more reading and searching after it wouldn't intially work) that it's actually quite insane.

Anyway, here's the deal. Plan was to network the my pc with the laptop.
* PC has cable internet access.
* Cable modem has an ethernet port (dynamic ip)
* laptop is wireless b/g
* Wireless D-Link DI-524 G Router has been purchased
* Both computers use Windows XP SP2 - Home

Now my plan was to have the pc with a wired network connection, which according to mr router instructions, involved me plugging router WAN port to cable modem ethernet port; and then LAN1 to eternet port in pc. PC's are named and have the same workgroup name. Have gone through the routers setup wizard and am 99.99% positive I've answered everything correctly. Have used XP's home network setup wizard and again am pretty sure everything was selected correctly in that.

Now, by following the router instructions the router and cable modem both need to be plugged into the pc. If I do that I can't access the net on either machine. If I unplug the router from the pc, I can access the net on the pc but not the laptop. On the PC the only workgroup computer name I see is the actual PC, on the laptop I get an error message and can't view anything.

Now when I've gone to ipconfig, each lists the ips as follows:
Laptop:
Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Ip Address: 192.168.0.115

Pc
Default Pc Gateway: 211.28.240.1
Ip: 211.28.240.170
Subnet mask is the same as the laptop.

Now, considering my laptops default gateway is the same that I use to access my router, I'm thinking the PC should be listing the same gateway addy, but if it should be where would it be getting this other addy from?

The only other issue I can physically notice with the setup is according to the router book once I set it all up and go to Network places -> properties, I should actually see a listing for D-Link (etc... router details.) Instead I see (besides my cable modem) Sis 900 PCI Fast Ehternet Ada.... The only thing I can possibly put this down to is actually been the ethernet port in my pc, maybe? If that is the case, should I be seeing that or D-Link? If I should be seeing D-Link... how?

At the end of the day, does anyone have any ideas of what the issue within this set up could be?

its actually pretty cheap and easy, all you need is a nic (network interface card). it has the standard ethernet jack on it so all you have to do is install it and plug it in

Thanks for that mtndew.

bumping up for the edited new question. I'll put this lovely little mess down to the heat here today. :)

Laptop:
Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Ip Address: 192.168.0.115

Pc
Default Pc Gateway: 211.28.240.1
Ip: 211.28.240.170
Subnet mask is the same as the laptop.

Looking at the IP's above you've got the laptop getting it's IP from the Router and the PC from the cable modem.

This should be configured like this;

Cable modem into Routers WAN port (wide area network) and the PC into any of the LAN (local area network) ports of the Router, the laptop is ok. Remember you 'must' turn off the cable modem to allow it to forget the mac address of the computer before adding the router or simply in the routers confiq set it to spoof the computers mac address.

Does that make sense ?

BullDog(UK)

Back
Top Bottom