quick laptop repair advice

danfromny

Beta member
first off....hello everyone
i have a friend thats in the millitary, he just got home from iraq, before he went over seas he went out and bought a 1200 dollar hp pavilion dv9000, its a very nic laptop, well when he was over there his base got bombed, it didnt take a direct hi tbut i guess the bomb hit about 100 yards aw3ay, he had his laptop on at the time and it went off and hasnt started since, when he got home a few eeks ago he gave the laptop to me, i have it now at my house and i really wouldnt think that the whole laptop could be bad, he gave it to me and i wanna try and fix it but i dont know where to start !!! any suggestions ? if i can fix it i will have a very expensive laptop for free..lol what would be the obvious problems with it

what it wont turn on at all ?

when you hit the power button what happens ? fans come on lights come on ?

we had many posts here but not many that ask us to diagnose and help repair a laptop hit by a bomb lol,

n e ways lets stay on the posotive side,

give us exact details what happens when you hit the power button if n e thing ?

well I can assume that the after shock of bomb is what caused damaged...I don't think that the bomb had EMP.

In that case...multiple problems can accure with just the after shock of the bomb...it would be like dropping the laptop off a cliff...

It could be anything really, something got knocked loose or what have you

I do know that computers do not like to be bumped around.

lol..hahahah, yea, i would like to add as well, i do have three years of education in computer science in college, i repair allot of computers and thats how i got my hands on this laptop. i just have never myself had to repair a machine that was hit by a bomb !!! so i honestly dont know where to start. and its such a nice laptop , i dont wanna just trash it. so i thought i would ask some of you nice people for your advice. i also dont wanna go tearing into it blindly either without a game plan.
when i hit the power nothing at all happens, no fans, no lights.....nothing

right very very sticky situation,

the thing is if nothing works it could be a, motherboard or PSU or faulty power switch or dislodged RAM or dead CPU or a combination of these,

and because its a laptop its not really like you could take each part out and easily test it again, laptop parts are very difficult to test in other laptops, other than RAM and hardrive that is.

your very right ssc, if it was a desktop this project would be much easier, i haven't done too much in laptop repairs other than swapping out the hd or ram. i guess ill have to tear it down to see if i can see something obvious, i already tested the ram in my personnel laptop, it seems to be fine. and the bomb hit hp (lol) has duel hd's so i doubt that could be the reason, besides it would be something simple like the hd cause it doesn't even power up. mb or cpu?

well i've heard of small bombs having EMP's on it, which destorys small devices that are ON at the time of the explosion...

Which would mean you would need to get a new power supply...but I don't know I how replace on a laptop.

However, the factory warrenty is a year long..so I just send it in...it covers anything and everything for one year.

Back
Top Bottom