questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
I'm working on my final paper for my media class and would appreciate some first hand experiences to help guide my final thoughts. You don't have to answer all of the questions if you don't want to. Anything would be helpful. THANKS!

During times of crisis or disaster (Hurricane Katrina, 9/11 attacks, local weather events, Pacific Tsunami, etc.) what effect(s) would you say the mass media has on you? does it help you cope? does it cause more stress? etc. etc.

Media = T.V., Newspaper, Radio, Magazines, Internet

If you have a younger sibling or siblings or children, how do the images in the media affect them in comparison to how they affect you or your parents?

Would you say use of mass media is important for you during such times of crisis/disaster? Why or why not?

1: I felt the media tended to accentuate the negatives of what was happening, the horror stories of looting and other criminal activity during and after Katrina.

2:I have no younger siblings, but I have three children. All three watched what was going on and all felt that the people of New Orleans were idiots for not getting the heck out of there. Sorry for their loss, but why stay? My 16 year old got mad that people were blaming the government for not packing their belongings and moving them and their posessions. She said, "They sent a bus, get on the freaking thing" The images and reports of people refusing sandwiches and water because they wanted a cheeseburger and a coke were hilarious too.

3:Good for issuing a warning or emergency info. The rest is garbage reporting. I don't need a doofus reporter clinging to a tree in 90 MPH winds to tell me there is a hurricane. Use the radio and TV to tell people it will be here approximately at this time and this day, get the **** out.

1. I love watching the media for 99% humor and 1% information. It's usually so one-sided...always twisting it for the worse (I guess that's the entertainment aspect)...but hey, the reporters need to keep their jobs somehow.

2. No younger siblings as we're all getting old ;) But...I can say I have two siblings: one...doesn't care about any media info, and the other...it's bad, if the reporter says 1 + 1 = 3, he will argue that forever more. IE: he trusts them 110%. Probably the biggest contrast that you could have with three people :)

3. Ideally it would be good for emergencies, but honestly, the buzz/beep-ing that occurs once a month, testing these services. I hear them too much (with the minimal TV I watch), and would likely shrug them off to being another "Test". Other than that, sure it is nice to know what's going on, but what the reporters say...maybe 10% truth to it?

...and I like what superdave1984 said. You have some very smart kids there! I know it can always be argued...not all could afford to just leave home behind, but I think those numbers are minimal from those that just chose to stay, thinking it'd be no problem.

1. The mass media just makes me sick. From my perspective, they just want ratings and a disaster is the way to get them. If they were truly reporting the news they would report the crisis then try to get out the information to help things get better like relief numbers to call and where to donate food/supplies to help.

2. My child is only 1, so the images have no affect on her. as for me, i just turn the channel because it's the same stuff over and over. Smart people left before the disaster (hurricanes) or were prepared to handle the situation (earthquake ect.) while the dumb*** people seem to sit around and wait for some one to "rescue" them.

3. the media is not important for me in times of disaster, because i have my own plans and resources to rely on in case of emergency. Also if there is a real disaster, there probably won't be electricity so no TV anyway. The radio will be used for info only, no bs about other news and such.

for the katrina, i do not think anybody who stayed there are dumb or stupid. it's very understandable. 1st, the government underestimated the strength of katrina and didn't warn them enough. New Orleans has been hit by harricane many times. just not as bad as Katrina. so people who stayed there obviously underestimated it just the same as US government. and also most of people who stayed there are very poor and without any transportation other than public transportation. and also nowhere else to stay. a lot of people had no choice but to stay. being sick and poor and nowhere to go doesn't mean they are dumb. err...i dont have time to continue right now...so i'll maybe post more later... (and sorry my english isn't that good...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom