Questions on UPGRADING!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

iplaydafoozball

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm been interested in updating my computer but I really want to know what are the best options. I've been studying about this alot, and know that my computer probably isn't the best to upgrade, but oh well, it's what I have to deal with. I got it for college and my dad wouldn't go for anything but a Dell.

Dell Dimension 3000
Pentium 4 (3 GHz, HT w/ 800 fsb)
1 GB ddr ram
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (what i want to replace)
80 GB Hard drive
Soundblaster Live! 24-bit soundcard

I have studied and found that my system can only support PCI, not PCI-Express or anything else. The best PCI card seems to be the GeForce 5700LE w/ 256 mb. With that card, how much of a performance upgrade will I noitce? I did notice that lots of those forums were older, and was wondering if anything new or better is out. Price is no problem for the card, as most PCI cards don't go higher than $150. On the other hand, I have noticed that maybe I should just go with a whole new motherboard that supports PCI-Express. I don't really know much about that, or how much it would cost. If you think a new motherboard is the best option, I would like to know more about that, what options I have, or even if a new motherboard/graphics card combo would fit in my Dimension 3000.

BTW!!! I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer. The reason for a new graphics card is faster loading with the games I have and also better visuals. I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Star Wars Galaxies. They run pretty well on my computer, it's just that they are on the lowest settings and take a while to load.

Go new mother board for sure. Pci is so outdated its not even funny. Its not even work looking at. Agp is a good one. Outdated for less then a year, I think. But pci ex is the new way to go.

So, yea, I thought that it would end up that getting a new motherboard is best. Can anyone give me a hand on what exactly I should get, or what type to get, or if they know an exact one that would do good. Also, what other components would I need to buy, prices, where to buy, etc....

u'll need a new case for a new motherboard because dell sucks! get an nforce 4 motherboard from DFI and u might as well get an sli one for future upgrades and to go with all that based on the games u play i think a 6800GS would suit u perfectly

iplaydafoozball said:
I have studied and found that my system can only support PCI, not PCI-Express or anything else
I don't want to sound like I doubting you research, but are you sure you don't have a slot on your motherboard called AGP? Likely, you do have one, and that's the port where a good graphics card can go. I don't see how any manufacturer could not put an AGP slot in any system over 800mhz Pentium 3. It looks like a smaller brown slot in between your pci slots, or off to the side?

ok, opened it up, looked, only 3 white slots. went to dell.com and tech specs say only 3 pci slots. looked online for pictures of motherboards that have agp or pci-e slots, and i know that i dont have one. i have 3 pci slots. SO! time for a new motherboard! what would fit in my dimension 3000 case that has apg or pci-e slots? also, do i need to buy heatsinks or more fans or just a mobo? how hard is it to install a mobo, do i need to reinstall windows, etc.? if anyone knows or could give me a hand, thanks!

Get a new motherboard! You'll probably want to get a Socket T (LGA775) motherboard. Along with a decent Pentium 4 or Pentium D CPU (Processor).

Along with that, get an nVidia 6600GT video card. With that you'll notice massive improvents from that onboard video. Trust me, been there done that. :D

And that's all you should need. Just a new motherboard, new CPU, and new graphics card. And possibly RAM, but we'll talk abotu that later.

ok, so im gonna buy a new motherboard. is it possible to keep my CPU or is that impossible? 3 GHz really isnt too bad, and processors are a little expensive, so is there a way to install a new motherboard, and transfer my current CPU to it?

You have to know how to take out the cpu which i heard is complicated but make sure its an intel compatible motherboard.

Also..just a suggestion, if ur gonna be playing high end games, may wana replace the hard drive (dont know how much of it u used though)

Back
Top Bottom