Questions about overclocking..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gust_nul

In Runtime
Just a few questions,

What kind of changes can i see by overclocking?
Is it dangerous to overclock?
what are the best makes to overclock with...
Does the parts get hotter when overclocking, and would water cooking be the best for it then?

Thanks, I really dunno much about this, but i dont wanna look up on it unless im actually going to do it.

Also, if a few weeks i will have a pc with the following specs, to anything with... please tell me if I should try overclocking it..

Abit AN7 Guru
512DDR
Raedon 9200serioes AGP
AMD Sempron 2800 2ghz

well, ur stuff isnt the best for OC'ing... u will notice a performance increase if you OC.
your parts will get much hotter the faster you oc. this is because your chips consume more power as you oc higher and higher, but they are trying to dissipate this heat energy with the same amount of surface area... it just dont work! your heat flux (power/surface area) gets higher and higher and your chip will eventually fry.
water cooling of course cools better because of the heat transfer characteristics....im not really going to get into why unless some1 asks, but... it has to do with the ratio of density and viscosity of a liquid versus that of a gas. pretty much liquids can remove heat about 33% faster than gases, all things (i.e. temperature difference between your fluid and HS surface) being equal.

although it depends what parts you oc..

if you oc the cpu clock you won't notice a LOT of increase in games and such, but you will notice it in other things like superPI or programs that mainly work on the CPU

If you OC the video card then the performence increase in games will be noticeable, but you'r vid card won't oc well if at all, I know by experience.

etc...

Hope that helps,
-Jo

Yea, not to be mean but that setup isn't great for overclocking. If you do decide to Overclock it make sure you read, read, read, read and then read some more about overclocking. People say i couldn't OC that much when i first started but i was able to OC my cpu from a 2.4GHz to almost a 3.0Ghz cpu and at the time i didn't have good Ram at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom