Questions about new comp

mslpanthers

Baseband Member
If I get a new case and a new motherboard. What else would I HAVE to buy? Does a motherboard come with a stick of ram?

It matters what you have in your computer now. if this is a fresh build you have to buy:
case/PSU
MOBO(motherboard)
CPU
CPU fan and heatsink
RAM
HDD(hardrive)
GPU(graphics card) if your MOBO doesn't have intergraded video.
sound card if your MOBO doesn't have intergraded sound.
CD drive
Monitor
keyboard/mouse

okay lots of questions.

I don''t know what I can use out of my computer just to get it running. I don't think I can use the:

case/PSU- I'm good on that, I got a ASPIRE X-Navigator

MOBO(motherboard)- I'm in need of one of these, not sure what purchase yet, since I cant use the one outa my eMachines

CPU- Is this the processor? and Can i use this out of my emachines?

CPU fan and heatsink- My new case has like four fans and my mobo is gonna hvae one on it. Am i still in need?

RAM- Okay

HDD(hardrive)- Can I use the one off my emachines?

GPU(graphics card)- I'll have to see
sound card- ill have to see

CD drive- Its got a custom eMachines head thing, so i dont think it would fit, if it does, would it work on my new comp?

Monitor- I've got my emachines one

keyboard/mouse- Im good on those

case/psu- you can probably use your old case. you might just want a new one.
MOBO- you have to decide on a Intel CPU supported board or a AMD one.
CPU- this is the processor. you might be able to use the same CPU but you would have to make your motherbaord have the same socket.
CPU fan/heatsink- you HAVE to have one
HDD- yes you can use the one out of your old computer
CD drive- if it fits in the case you can use it.

Is this an upgrade your doing or a repair on your old computer?

Also can you post what your current MOBO is and CPU. if you don't know download everest(google it), it will show you what you have.

Upgrade/Build New Computer.

Figured it would be fun, and my current computer sucks.

Anyways, which is better to buy Intel or AMD?

I guess you were saying that I have to buy one, not own one. Which would be a good one to buy and are they easy to install?

YOu might as well upgrade everything. You don't want to use that old stuff from your emachine. Here's what I would do if you do want to keep some of your old parts (for cost sake). Keep the sound card, any optical drives you have (CD-RW, DVD-RW, etc), keep the hard drive and floppy.

Upgrade to an Athlon 64 CPU, get new memory, and new video card.

They are both easy to install. i always buy intel but it seems like AMD is becoming better. i recrommend a AMD 64 3200 socket 939.

Alrighty, I'll look into that processor.
It comes with a heatsink and fan, am I STILL in need to buy a heatsink and fan?

Also could you recommend a motherboard?

get the amd ATHLON64 3000+ 939 socket instead, on reviews and tests it was shown to o/c better than the 3200. as for the heatsink and fan, dont bother get artic silver 5 or artic silver ceramique thermal paste and teh computer will run fine, mine is o/c 600mhz and its running at 39 degrees idle with stock hsf. motherboard...do u want PCI-EX, AGP, SLI, ULI(dunno if these are on the market yet though). btw if you arent an insane gamer i would recommend a intel only because if you play a gamer for about 1-2 hours a day and tehn do normal stuff (msn/bearshare,internet) for a few more hours the intel would perform better, also if you got a SLI intel you would always be above 60fps so the games would always run smooth. best of both worlds then

neo 4 platinum SLI mobo if u want SLI if what i'd recommend.

mslpanthers said:
Alrighty, I'll look into that processor.
It comes with a heatsink and fan, am I STILL in need to buy a heatsink and fan?

Also could you recommend a motherboard?

No, you do not need an additional heatsink/fan for the CPU if the retail box already comes with one. The stock one works nicely.

I am partial to MSI motherboards so any of the nforce4 boards work best.

Back
Top Bottom