Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

posito75

Solid State Member
My question is: I ordered a new motherboard and processor. When I put it together and turn it on is Windows XP going to work or am I going to have to install it again? I hope not. Or is there a way to not install it and for windows to detect your new board and processor?

You will need to format if you get a new motherboard due to the chipset drivers etc that are on the HDD.

just do a repair .. boot the xp installation disc and once it has loaded press enter (pretend you are doing a full install) then when it gets to the next screen press 'R' for repair and it will repair your xp installation to work with your new motherboard and cpu

If you are right then this will save me ALOT of time just saving files to a disc... GOD I hope so.. Cause I dont want to start over from scratch. Im gonna try doing the repair to see if it works.. THanks!!

no problem.. but just make sure you don't press 'R' on the first screen as that is the recovery screen.. Press Enter to setup windows xp then press 'R' to repair an installation of xp (you wont lose anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom