question, upgrading old computer to XP

crespo

Solid State Member
I got my computer in 2001, so it's got a nice chunk of years on it... it's OLD. 1.4GHz, 512 SD ram, and running windows ME. now it crashes a lot, has countless errors, even after reformatting and Windows Reg Checker always nags at me till I delete it's registry key in the startup folder. I've never messed with the registry other than deleting that scanreg key, and I've always been good about anti-virus/spyware.

now I'm wondering if it's all because of Windows ME? I know it's a crap OS and I wish I knew that at the time of purchase, but I'd like to know if upgrading to XP Home would solve all my problems. I do play some games, but I mainly use it for internet and music. I know some would say throw that piece of junk out and buy a new one! but that's not one of my options at the moment.

you should definately just buy xp. windows me is a crap os, and if you plan on playing games, xp is the best os for that. your computer will support perfectly fine too. xp is probably microsoft's most stable os. so just ditch me and get xp. and an advantage of getting xp is that if you ever do build a custom pc, you will already have and xp cd and you wont need another one!

cileskot said:
you should definately just buy xp. windows me is a crap os, and if you plan on playing games, xp is the best os for that. your computer will support perfectly fine too. xp is probably microsoft's most stable os. so just ditch me and get xp. and an advantage of getting xp is that if you ever do build a custom pc, you will already have and xp cd and you wont need another one!

thanks for the response. now question, I do eventually plan on building my own PC, and I heard that you can't use the home edition of XP on more than one computer. is that true? and am I better off getting Pro or is Home fine?

i dont really know of any major dfferences between home and pro, but you should be fine with home. but ill let you in on a little secret: the way to install xp on more than one computer is to register it over the phone. they give you 2 choices, to register it either by entering in the serial number and submitting it over the internet, or by calling a provided number and givign them your serial number over the phone. believe me, this most liekly works as many times as you want, because ive installed the same xp disk on my computer, my old laptop, my newer laptop, my brothers computer, my mom's computer, and a friends computer. every time i used the phone method of activating, it worked. so just remember to activate over the phone during the xp installation.

Back
Top Bottom