Question Regarding Windows Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
I have attached a picture of my old PC's HDD setup. Is it true that the partition that is closest to the HDD's leading edge is displayed first? So would my Storage two access quicker than Storage one?
partitionm.png

Thank You

Nope, doesn't work like that at all. The partitions have no physical reflection on the drive.

What you should do is regularly defragment your drive (about once every month is plenty)

Nope, doesn't work like that at all. The partitions have no physical reflection on the drive.

What you should do is regularly defragment your drive (about once every month is plenty)
Oh, hmm. It is just that this page confused me: Radified Hard Drive Partitioning Strategies
If you create a partition at the outer/leading edge of your drive (*1), and install your operating system & applications there .. and use the inner/slower parts of the disk for storing files that don't require access during normal system operating (i.e. downloads, drivers, back-ups, Ghost images, etc.) .. you'll limit/restrict your drive's seeks to the fastest part of the drive.

(*1) - the first partition you create on a drive will automatically take the outer/leading/fastest edge.
Is this info inaccurate or dated or something?

That info is not right. Maybe back when HDD were 4200 RPM and were a few MB in size. But now access time is not affected at all. Plus you cant depend on the Windows Disk Management Tool as that doesnt display the drives as they are physically on the disk. The Windows partition could physically be 2nd on the drive but be displayed first in Disk Management.

That info is not right. Maybe back when HDD were 4200 RPM and were a few MB in size. But now access time is not affected at all. Plus you cant depend on the Windows Disk Management Tool as that doesnt display the drives as they are physically on the disk. The Windows partition could physically be 2nd on the drive but be displayed first in Disk Management.
Ah I see, thanks Mak.
One less thing to have to worry about haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom