Question regarding Motherboards

kwynn

Beta member
Hi, all.
Sorry, I know very little about computers...so I am hoping someone can help me out.

What I have got is a Pentium 4 2.5 HP Pavilion a335w with 1gb DDR 333mhz RAM... and I am looking to get a new motherboard (was looking at this motherboard here.

I don't have too much to spend (this pricerange is what I am aiming for) -- would this work with what I have?

- Kathy

Oh, another note to add: if this would not work, are there any motherboards that anyone would recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Sadly I couldn't find a photo of your computer. The board you chose is a full size motherboard, so you need a large size tower to accomadate it. Your board has 5 pci slots so the easiest way I can think of is does your computer have at least 5 slots on the back or more?-If so the board should fit, if its an atx style tower.

It has 4 bottom slots ...decent sized HP tower.

Now, will that particular MB work with a P4 2.5 be able to work with that?? especially the 800mhz fsb?

Probably not particularly related to this page, but if the CPU is bust, but everything else is fine, will the motherboard do the memory checks and get to BIOS?

you'll probably need a new case, which you can get for like $50.00 then get that motherboard and your set, although you might want to think about pci-ex but agp is still fine

athlon64fx said:

I was gonna say that. WAHHHHHHHH. You quick girl.

HP has had a long term relationship with ASUS. They make some decent stuff. But a word to the wise. Make sure the type of cpu you have now is supported by the new board. If you plug in the wrong code name cpu chip it can be smoked. A Willimet (?) cpu chip will not work in a board designed for Prescott or Norwood cpus.
As for reccomending another brand motherboard I guess I could give a shameless plug for my favorite brand.
MSI
I have currently in my stable the MS-7008 PT880 LSR. It's a lot of bang for little bucks. Has onboard LAN and sound and sata and built in diagnostics and supports dual channel memory. And a whole lot of other stuff I don't think I'll ever use, but who knows.
I also have used Biostar boards but have found even as a oem dealer, that they are getting hard to get your hands on locally. You can score them off the net but I just have a problem with the internet and my credit cards.
Shop carefully and make sure all the pieces play nice together...

Back
Top Bottom