Question for the media gurus

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I have to make a 2-minute video of myself and send it in to a TV studio. They want the format to be in VHS which is old school media.

The scenario is this: all I have is a digital camera that can take videos. Is there a way to get that video file onto a VHS tape? Or would I have to buy a camcorder to initiate this transfer? I hate having to spend money on a camcorder just to use it once. I've been doing great with just my digital camera in video mode, but have to get the format down on a VCR tape, lol. Any suggestions or recommendations are encouraged.

use the S-Video\composite OUT on the back of your video card and hook it up to your TV, then play the video file on there, and record the TV's output via a VCR

there are some companies that do stuff like that. So basically you would make the video with your digital camera and then send the file to these guys and they would put it on a vhs tape for you.

Of course it won't be free but it should be cheaper than buying a camcorder.

No TV doesn't have output, but VCR does. Hook the Composite Out to the VCR in, and then record.

same thing...our TV has an output

It's not the same thing. A television can't display anything independently, without some sort of signal.

What's the point of having an output on a television? Unless you have a professional monitor, I don't see televisions having them.

Or.....you put the video file on a DVD, play it. At the same time, have a VCR hooked up to the TV and record off of the DVD..... oh wait. I don't think this is possible since most TVs have only one input right? (either the DVD player or the VCR), I think. I'm not good with this kind of stuff. There are DVD/VCR combo players too that can do that. But it involves buying new hardware, just as if you were to buy a camcorder.

Either way, I'm going to have to look at the back of the VCR and TV to see what kind of ports I'm dealing with. I have no clue. I should say that this really isn't for me :p. It's for someone else. I really don't want them having to deal with the S-Video on my PC, since it's their private project they're working on.

It would be a lot easier if the camera had a cable that can connect with the VCR. Unforutnaly, it only has a SD disk.

usually bigger TV's have more inputs and more "Special" stuff or w/e

like i have a 20' TV in my room and theres no inputs (besides coaxial) then i have 2 huge screens in my living room and they both have like a billion inputs and outputs.. on the front and back..

I've tried using the S-Video method on my PC just to see, but I don't think it's going to work. There's no audio. S-Video is video only where the sound needs to be from another source. It doesn't appear to transmit across unless if it's HDMI.

Have you got a VCR recorder?
If so, these should have all the connections to just transmit the signal and record straight from the camera (all cameras should allow for output to another source...)
You may also have the option to view what is recording on the TV, if the VCR then has a output to the TV.

Thats the only way I can think of, that'd work

Back
Top Bottom