Question and first post!

Plasmio

Beta member
This is my first post! I'm building my first computer. So far I have almost everything I need. I went with a Phenom II 965 (this will be a budget gaming rig) and will be purchasing a GTX 660. The fan that the Phenom comes with is barely enough to keep it at operating temperatures while at stock frequency from what I understand; What would be fan capable of keeping it relatively cool if I were to OC to maybe 3.8-4.0Ghz? I was looking at this: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 with 92mm PWM Fan - Newegg.com
My other question is whether or not a 92mm fan or larger would fit into my case. This is the case I have:
Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0 - Newegg.com

You're building a first computer and you're going to overclock it straight away?

Well, I'll be honest, it's stupid to build a first computer and overclock it straight away, what makes you think the cooling sucks? the stock fan is fine, and overclocking it 0.2 won't effect the heat much, stock fans are fine, trust me, theirs no point wasting more money on your machine when it's capable of playing all the latest games, maybe you should look to overclock it next year when next year's games ask for more from your cpu..

I am just being straight up and honest.

I've read several places that the stock Phenom fan isn't very good. Maybe you have an Intel, but AMD, especially one of their 2009 CPUS, runs pretty hot. I wrote this while I was kind of tired, so I apologize for being unclear. The stock frequency is 3.4, and I want to OC to somewhere around 3.8-4.0. The only reason I want to is because I've heard that the Phenom II can bottleneck.

Maybe I've owned and built hundreds of computers?

Trust me, you're doing it far to early to notice a difference, I am all with o'c, but not at a stage where you will not notice a thing.

This is my own opinion, and from my very own education, I suggest this, but if you really want to, go ahead, but please come back and let me know how it goes, then atleast it'll put a smile on my face.

And for the record, I've been here for quite along time and I've never 'bought' an intel cpu, and I've bought a few AMD's, and yes I do have a different heatsink from stock, cost me £25, what did it do to my temps :eek: zilch lol...

A company as big as AMD will not release a 'dodgy' heatsink, I can a sure you this.

Back
Top Bottom