Question about Webhosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
I have webhosting and a domain.
I'm trying to upload a file to the webserver. But I need the address to the file to be "www.fakjslf.com/faska.exe" rather than "ftp:// user:pass.wags.com/file.exe"

can anyone help me?

Your FTP access...can you get into the Pubilc_html folder? In there you will have to create either a directory or jsut upload the file. That will give you the result of the file being located at:

http://yourdomain.com/filename

I hope that helps. If not need some more info on who your webhost is so i can try to figure out how they do their hosting as this is how mine is...

FTP and HTTP are two different protocols that serve files from pretty much the same place. In a linux environmnet, FTP will usually dump you to your home directory (/home/yourname/), and HTTP will usually dump you to your public directory (/home/yourname/public_html/) when you log on.

For example, when I visit yourname.org, I'm actually accessing files in /home/yourname/public_html/. So that's where you want to put your files. In the public_html directory (also linked as www in some cases).

If you are on a Windows server, your public_html directory is usually called wwwroot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom