Question about thumping a computer tower.

tigris671

Solid State Member
02.07.12_UPDATE:

So I got my story wrong a bit. When the table bumped, it didn't shut off. But the monitor lost any sort of connection to the PC. So the PC was still running and on, but the monitor lost connection. On top of that, the fan for the graphics card started sounding like it had asthma.

We took the graphics card out of computer and used it on another friends' PC and it didn't work, so we then got a new graphics card but when placed into the computer, it still has no signal.

The RAM is secure, the Hard Drives work (we tested them on other computers). We tried a different monitor with the PC and still no go, so its something inside.

My friend still thinks something in the motherboard broke. Either that or the processor chip broke? but he said thats unlikely.

Hi guys,

I have a question about a computer sort of shorting out.

I was in a friends room squatting on the ground. When I stood up, my shoulder hit their table where the computer Tower was sitting on. The Computer turned off almost immediately after thumping the table. (the table didn't rock or anything, it just sort of thumped, no different from if it was in a car trunk being transported or maybe even less than that)

Now the computer hasn't been turning on since then, they tried different monitors, checked the power cables, even bought a new graphics card which we also placed in another CPU just to make sure it worked. Nada. Now they're thinking buying a new mother board because we think that is fried..?

I can't imagine that slight thump fried something in their computer, but since I'm not tech savvy, I'm just not quite sure what it is.

Could anyone help to let me know whats wrong or how responsible I am for the problem? I feel guilty and of course I feel bad she doesn't have a working computer. But I'm not sure if I am to blame..

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm guessing a cable or a component in the computer must have became loose. Have you checked the 4 pin connector and the main 24/20 pin connector?

Your welcome, pm if you have any more questions or concerns and I will answer them to the best of my ability

Check the RAM. Sometimes it can pop loose as well. (just had this happen this morning - computer was working, moved it, then it powered on but no image or bios, reseated the RAM, now it works fine again)

I still haven't gotten a chance to check it out. But I do appreciate all the tips. Will be updating y'all as soon as I get inside there.

More likely to be a temperamental power strip than anything, but if a small jar caused it to die, then it was most likely about to go anyway.

Double-check all the power connections are well-seated, verify the power strip breaker isn't tripped (and check the electrical outlet, too-- make sure it is working) and do a sniff-check to see if you can find a short-circuit in the chassis.

Update

So I got my story wrong a bit. When the table bumped, it didn't shut off. But the monitor lost any sort of connection to the PC. So the PC was still running and on, but the monitor lost connection. On top of that, the fan for the graphics card started sounding like it had asthma.

We took the graphics card out of computer and used it on another friends' PC and it didn't work, so we then got a new graphics card but when placed into the computer, it still has no signal.

The RAM is secure, the Hard Drives work (we tested them on other computers). We tried a different monitor with the PC and still no go, so its something inside.

My friend still thinks something in the motherboard broke. Either that or the processor chip broke? but he said thats unlikely.

It is unlikely. Check the monitor cable(s), and make sure the video card is properly inserted.

Also, check to see if the motherboard has integrated graphics. If it does, then it probably reverted to the default graphics when the other video card died, and so you may have to connect the monitor to the onboard video port first, boot into the BIOS and change the BIOS to look for and use the new add-in card. Then switch your monitor back to the add-in video port.

Still possible that the mobo is dead as well. A powered on but no image computer sometimes means a dead mobo.

Check the on-board graphics first to see if it did default there.

Back
Top Bottom