Question about the ram divider

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he means that you won't see a big up in performance? I'm not really sure. All I want to know is if if i can overclock a amd 64 with 1ghz ram that is under 200 dollars to 2.4 ghz.

Do you mean 1 GB of RAM?

If so, then yes, you probably can. Especially if you get a Venice core. I have a Winchester core and it is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and I hit 2.3 GHz no problem. My RAM is around 210 MHz with the FSB at about 250 or a little bit higher. You should be able to get that speed at least. It rates better on the 3DMark tests than it did before, so that is why I was wondering what was meant by a LOSS in performance.

Loss in performance meaning that your system is running slower than it would be if it were on a 1:01 ratio.

yeah, what gaara said, I didn't mean it like "ahh yeah 1.8GHz would be faster than 2.4GHz since you don't have it 1:1"

I'm basing it all off of running 1:1 and if it's not you'll lose performance compared to if it was.......in other words 200x12 = 2.4GHz with 1:1 would be better and faster than if you had 250x9.5 and was running the RAM still at 200.....even though they are both 2.4GHz (or close to it because 250x9.5 is 2.375 technically) the one performing 1:1 would be best......now of course raising the multi isn't an option unless you have an FX series chip but this was just for sake of the arguement.

I kinda figured that is what you might have meant, but I wasn't quite sure. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Depends what kind of RAM and processor you get. If I were you, I'd go with an AMD Athlon 3200+ socket 939 or 3500+. That way you don't have to up the FSB 55 MHz to get it to 2.4 GHz. You'll only have to up a 3200+ 40 MHz or a 3500+ about 19 MHz or so. However, if you get good RAM, you may be able to get another 55 MHz out of it. It all depends on the quality of the RAM and the type of processor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom