Question about the difference of how resources are read between ME and XP PRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehlek

Baseband Member
Ok when I had ME under performance it showed just a percentage of how many resources were left. But with XP PRO it is completely different. How does everything mean? Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• dxdiag2.txt
    29.4 KB · Views: 28
Well, basically, the CPU usage is how much of your CPU your are utilizing at that time. Thats not very important, as most programs will not utilize much of it. Then again, mine reads 99% at all times because I run Folding@home.

The memory one is a bit more important, where it says "available" is what you want to look for. if that drops real low, then you start having problems. Nce thing is, under the process tab, you can see how much ram every program is using.

Thanks what is the differencebetween Kernel and Physical Memory? Also under process is there anything I could close to enable fasterness without screwing anything up? If so how would I know what I can and can't close?

Basically anything that would screw anything up in the proccess list will not let you close it. Pretty much anything with your user name can be closed, but the best thing to do is run MSCONFIG and remove unneccesary items from the startup tab.

€cniv said:
Basically anything that would screw anything up in the proccess list will not let you close it. Pretty much anything with your user name can be closed, but the best thing to do is run MSCONFIG and remove unneccesary items from the startup tab.
How?

From webopedia.com:

"The central module of an operating system. It is the part of the operating system that loads first, and it remains in main memory. Because it stays in memory, it is important for the kernel to be as small as possible while still providing all the essential services required by other parts of the operating system and applications. Typically, the kernel is responsible for memory management, process and task management, and disk management. "

In other words, the kernel memory is the amount of space allocated for the windows kernel.

Zehlek said:

How to run msconfig?

Just click start, then run, and type in msconfig. the hit ok.

It will take you to a window with a tab labeled startup, most things in there can be removed without any consequences. Anything that isnt located in c:\windows is what i would say you can safely remove.

The January 2003 issue of Maximum PC (pg 65) has a screenshot of the Windows XP Task Manager and a great explanation of what everything means!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom