Question about RAM

SackamanjaroX

Baseband Member
Right now I have 6Gb of RAM (3 X 2Gb). I've been thinking about upgrading and have some questions. I don't want to spend a whole lot so was thinking of just buying one 8Gb stick, is it a bad idea to have one 8Gb stick and three 2Gb in at the same time for a total of 14Gb? Should I shell out for the two 8Gbs and run that with two of my 2Gbs for a total of 20Gbs. Or is it safer to just run the two 8Gbs without the other two 2Gbs? I'm just wondering if the larger RAM sticks will be slowed down by the smaller ones, sorry for being a noob XD

First, mixing memory sticks is never a good idea. Different silicon, with different timings, command rates etc., will often cause all the memory to default to the lowest common denominator. It can also cause numerous other issues. Always use memory that's identical to avoid problems.

May I ask why you want to add more memory? 6GB is more than sufficient for most average computer users. You mention nothing about your OS???

If you're using a 32bit OS, you've already got more memory than it can handle.

I'm running 64bit windows, I don't really need more RAM but it's not that expensive so why not? Plus I'm thinking about setting up a minecraft server for me and some friends so there's no such thing as too much RAM! Also, thanks for the tips :D

Back
Top Bottom