Question about PC tower and customising...

cwuz

Beta member
I'm new to forums and i am apologizing in advance if i do anything wrong.

I need a new computer to connect to my TV, i'm fed of having just a laptop. Anyway, i want a small-sized one like this -http://goo.gl/nEbqR

It will fit nicely behind my TV. Anyway, obviously when i buy it, it will be something around the lines of 1GB RAM and 80GB HDD. Could i just take those 2 out and put 4GB RAM and 300GB HDD in it? Will it all still work properly?

Also, i imagine the ghz will be low, but i want a bit decent like 3-4ghz, how do i achieve this? What do i change?

Also, i would want Windows 7, because in my mind, anything else is pointless. Would i be better off buying this - FAST DELL MINI Core 2 Duo Gaming Tower PC 4GB RAM Small Desktop PC Computer DVD | eBay and installing Win7? Or could i make one from scratch for cheaper?

I wont be using this for running any big software or anything, i will just be using it for internet, music and movies.

I'm not expecting it to play games or anything. But for the record, will it play games? Cheers.

Clearly i'm new to the insides of computers and i haven't got a clue what i'm talking about, but it would be nice not to have people laugh at me and mock me for this. I have asked this question on Yahoo Answers but no one answered, so i figured i would join here and ask you guys.

Hey that's ok, we all had to start someplace right?

The reason you weren't getting any responses is because your question/questions are too broad.

You'll need to be more specific.

First state exactly what you want to do with this machine. Movie storage? Gaming? Home theater, web surfing? All?

Once you explain your needs it's easier for folks to make suggestions.

Hey that's ok, we all had to start someplace right?

The reason you weren't getting any responses is because your question/questions are too broad.

You'll need to be more specific.

First state exactly what you want to do with this machine. Movie storage? Gaming? Home theater, web surfing? All?

Once you explain your needs it's easier for folks to make suggestions.

I see, i'm sorry.

I would like to use it as a secondary computer if that makes sense. Most of the time i use my laptop (for things like programs, music, internet ect. Basically everything). but my laptop isn't the best, and recently it's become slow. It's full of movies, music and programs. So i want to keep using my laptop for the everyday things like; internet, email youtube ect and also most of my programs. But i would like a small-sized tower to put behind my TV by my PS3, so i can use the big screen as a monitor and install iTunes and watch movies. But i want enough power to do other things just incase i need to. I plan to buy a external HD, so memory isn't really a problem, but RAM and ghz is.

Gotcha, next question....do you plan to buy this machine, or build it?

In either case, what is your budget?

Gotcha, next question....do you plan to buy this machine, or build it?

In either case, what is your budget?

I really wouldn't know, that's why i'm asking this question, because i haven't got a clue what's best. At the top, i've written quite a bit about what i want. Have you read that?

Also, not too sure about budget. I really wouldn't know about costs.

Ahh yes, sorry, I didn't see that you originally posted that you were going to buy this and not build.

That being the case, I would suggest you go to a site like iBuyPower, or CyberPower. They have a large display of machines in any configuration you may want. I'm not recommending them specifically, I'm only using those sites as reference so you can get a good idea.

All you need do is choose any gaming machine, that is within your budget. I suggest gaming machines because that's what you'll need to run movies, games, videos etc. with a decent graphics card with an HDMI port.

Any of those machines selling for about $900 and up will handle all the needs you described. Of course, a $2,000 computer will be faster, and have more features than a $900 machine, but the lower end is probably all you'll need.

In that price range they'll all have fast enough CPUs, and enough memory, and a decent graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom