Question about new computer build

jrs6494

Baseband Member
I am building my first computer and I am wondering if I get an after market cpu heat sink and fan do I need or have to use thermal compound? A friend at work says he built computers for a while and has never used any.

I just want to know if it is necessary?

Well if you're going to overclock, you definitely need an aftermarket cooler
If not, then I don't recommend it

As for the thermal paste, most heat sinks that come with the processor have some already applied or the company gives you some cheap kind.

I would recommend buying some of your own regardless of whether you get your own aftermarket cooler or not.

I personally use MX-2

Even if I did not overclock it why wouldn't you recommend it? I thought the cooler the better and with some games couldn't it run hotter then you'd like?

No, I do not recommend any aftermarket thermal paste. The difference between the stock paste that the stock coolers come with and paste such as MX-2 (which is great stuff, though..I use it) or other well-liked paste, is very minimal...like maybe 2-5*C difference. That's why an aftermarket HSF and TIM (thermal paste) are only cost effective (worth your money) on a rig you are OCing.

Bottom-line: You'll be fine with the stock HSF and TIM. :)

Unless he wants the aftermarket for looks? Or future overclock?

You must have thermal paste even if you don't OC. It makes a BIG difference. It helps in taking heat away from the CPU to the heatsink/fan. Your friend needs to apply thermal paste/grease. MX-2 is good, so is Arctic Silver 5, and shoot, Zalmans stock paste that came with my CNPS9900 was good!!!

Unless he wants the aftermarket for looks? Or future overclock?

Different story.

You must have thermal paste even if you don't OC.

Yes, but only if it doesn't come pre-applied to the HSF. I have yet to see one like this, unless he's buying an OEM CPU with no HSF, and therefore no TIM.

It makes a BIG difference. It helps in taking heat away from the CPU to the heatsink/fan.

Sure it does, but really only when you are OCing, or if you are running at full load 24/7. Otherwise, the stock stuff is fine. Like I said, there's a very minimal difference.

Your friend needs to apply thermal paste/grease.

Again, only if it's not on the HSF already, which is highly unlikely.

MX-2 is good, so is Arctic Silver 5

I recommend MX-2 over Arctic Silver for any beginner, or even advanced, computer builder because AS5 requires a curing time. You'll get almost instant results with MX-2, but again, this only for OC or high load situations.

Zalmans stock paste that came with my CNPS9900 was good!!!

Like I said, minimal difference between all types of TIMs made for computer HSFs. They are all manufactured to do the same thing; buffer the heat between the CPU and the HSF in the very minute cracks of the CPU and HSF metal contact plates.

Back
Top Bottom