question about my old computer

ImPoRtFrEaK

Solid State Member
First off, i am new here so hello everyone, glad to be here. Second, i have an old gateway computer, not too old, and i just finished reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows 95 and upgrading to windows 98. All i want this computer for is to play games off of cd-roms, so i put in the microsoft golf game to see if it would work. I went through the setup process and a window popped up saying i needed a 256 color video driver. I have no clue why this popped up because i had multiple games on it before i moved it to my room. I should also note that the reason we got this new computer is because the gateway totally crapped out on us. The desktop would not show up and so we moved it to my room and i got it to work, but everything is very choppy and well... you get the idea. If anyone can help me on my quest for gaming, please post as soon as possible. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Matt

Some Games need 256 Set, lower than what you have now - only old games but still. Some need 16-bit Colours instead of 32-bit Colours! Its just the Game; how old is the Microsoft Golf Game?

I was informed from another person on how to see what card i have and i have a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). I don't believe i have a nvidia one so if i can get one just instruct me, please. As for the golf game, it is 1995 edition. I have also tried Clue and Starcraft and they both had unbearably choppy graphics.

-Matt

I have already dowloaded three drivers and put them on disks to be transferred to my other computer. My big problem now is that I can't access my cd rom drive to load the drivers. Now I must overcome this hurdle. More help still appreciated.

-Matt

Cannot load the CD ROM! Shite; how old is it?

I did have this problem once too - does this Computer have a Modem - preferably old without any driver needs; then you could go on the internet and download it yourself, as well as a CD ROM Driver

What I wouldthink is that maybe something has come loose at the back: is the CD ROM working, is the CD Spinning or does Windows not recognise the CD Drive at all!

What Windows is it?

Could you check the BIOS to see if that is registering a CD Drive

Do you have a Windows CD - if the BIOS registers a CD Drive then maybe it would be eaiser to remaster Windows?

Wow, that was a whole lot of shiz for me to do at once. Let's start from the beginning. If I had to guess, I would say it as maybe 4 or 5 years old. Give me instructions on where to download the stuff from your second sentence and I'll give it a shot. The thing is, this computer always used to do this retarded thing where I would be playing Starcraft on battle.net and it would freeze for 10 seconds and then completely shut down. All by itself. This pissed me off a lot so I have kicked it pretty hard quite a few times. Where should I look to see if something has come loose? I have Windows 95, only because I reformatted my hard drive so I uninstalled 98. I'm pretty lost on your last sentence, tell me what to do and it shall be done. When I try and access the cd rom drive, it tells me its "not ready".

-Matt

Well, for Drivers to most of everything you could go onto http://members.driverguide.com/index.php and sign in - the password is 'all' and the username is 'drivers'

If you look in the back to check if the CD drive is working then you could try the Data Ribbon (a thin Ribbon Type lead from the back of the CD Drive; just push it in hard to check) or the Power - which if the tray comes out is right anyway. If you want to be extra checky then you could trail the Ribbon from the Drive back to the Motherboard and push it in there too.

I'd imagine the Computer is too slow - if its 4 to 5 years old - even if it wasn't once it still could be now due to time and just age; the Kicking may not have helped!

If I was you and I had to keep the Computer then I would try another CD Drive to test whether the CD Drive just doesn't work - if you have a CD Drive and are prepared to do that then I am happy to talk you thorugh it as best I can.

But in my honest opinion - unless thats your only Computer - then you should just give up. Its what; 450Mhz? maybe 600Mhz?

Either way I'm ok, and I will try my best talking you through it.

Back
Top Bottom