Question about a computerÂ…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneWolf

Baseband Member
Ok my buddy at work asked me to come over to his work to check out his computer he

Uses just for word processing the thing is old itÂ’s a 450mgz computer with a 135 watt

Power supply if I remember right which I canÂ’t but itÂ’s really low is that what itÂ’s supposed

To be? the thing turns off by itself all the time and reboots I think it may be the power

Supply or the other thing it has a really big heat sink on it but no fan on top of the heat

Sink any ideas of what the problem is?

assuming that the rebooting is hardware related and not from viruses and spywere, then yes it is probably the power supply. 135 seems low even for an old comp like that, careful if u buy a new one that it fits with the form factor.

Your better off buying a lowend new machine then wasting your money on a PSU. I can build a new machine for $325 shipped on newegg. You should be able to as well.

Hey thats exactly what I said but he didnt seem to want to listen to me he said he would rather

use it till it dies or explodes I was like whatever. So thanks again for the help guys one last thing

do you think it needs a fan on top of the heatsink even through it is only a 450mgz? because it doesn't have one. thanks again

It could do with one. My 450mhz P3 has a 40mm one on it, with a space for another one. If you do, the screws go inbetween the fins.

135watt is enough Juice for it, assuming it doesn't have a video card, but even that wouldn't tip it over. The PSU could be failing though.

Look on ebay for a cheaper PC, as he won't need alot of power, and it would be cheaper there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom