Quality point and shoot

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
I'm looking to get myself a decent point and shoot camera for around £350. For that I want something which is well built, fairly small but most importantly takes great photos with minimal fuss.
So far the top contenders are: Fujifilm X10 and the Canon S100, is there something else I should be looking at?

Samsung is bringing out a camera that looks to be pretty awesome. It runs on Jelly bean and has a 16.something MP camera. Google it and take a look.

While both the cameras you have there are decent quality, I would refrain from using those only because of the low optical zoom. There are similarly priced (and sometimes cheaper) cameras that have really high optical zooms and respectable quality shots. They're kinda like DSLRs without interchangeable lenses in a way.

I've narrowed it down to three picks within your price range:

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

822123.jpg

Pros: CMOS sensor, supports 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1 format photos, improved image stabilization (3-way), 35x optical zoom, flip-out screen for recording video, lowest aperture/widest range of three (f/2.7 - f/5.8)

Cons: Only 12.1MP (lowest of the three), need to dial down to 9mp to take 16:9 shots, LCD .3" smaller than other two (eh), no HDMI out (other two have this).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V

846280.jpg

Pros: CMOS sensor, 18.2MP (highest of 3), supports multiple memory card formats, built in 105mb space, highest ISO range (100-12800 vs 100-3200), fastest possible shutterspeed of three.

Cons: Most expensive of three (still within price range), lowest optical zoom of three (30x, still good), have to dial down to 13MP to get 16:9 shots.

Nikon Coolpix P510

842335.jpg

Pros: CMOS sensor, Cheapest of three (£248 on bhphoto.com, not sure elsewhere), highest optical zoom of three (42x), 90mb built in memory, lightest of three (though differences in weight are minimal), has a macro setting, not highest MP but is close @ 16.1MP

Cons: Low aperture range (f/3.3 - f/5.9), caps at 64gb for SDXC (may not matter).

To give you some perspective compared to the two you were looking at...the Fujifilm does have a few superior specs, including the CMOS sensor, the ability to shoot in manual with RAW formats, 1080p video recording (think the others I mention only do 720p), faster shutterspeed options and higher ISO sensitivity (same as the Sony I mentioned earlier)...but it's not worth the cost at all, especially considering the 4x optical zoom would be very limiting for any pictures you take. When you start going into digital zoom, the quality degrades immensely no matter how good the sensor or how many MP it has (though it is refreshing to see a lower MP camera with a better sensor)...it's just simply not worth the money. You could buy an entry level DSLR and a lens for that cost.

The Canon is cheaper than any of the ones I linked to, but it shows. The CMOS sensor isn't as good, MP is low, and the optical zoom is also way too low to take advantage of the RAW processing you can do. Decent ISO range, but better to spend a little extra on one of the ones I linked to, you'll get a better bang for your buck. Or pound. Whatever you want to call it.

Downside of the ones I listed are being larger than either of the ones you were looking at, but they are all still very lightweight.

Last edited:
That's given me some food for thought. I had initially excluded DSLRs and Bridge cameras because they have a bulk and a body type that I was not interested in.

I can understand that for sure, but these aren't technically true "bridge" cameras, they aren't quite as bulky and lack some of the features bridge cameras have...and most true "bridge" cameras have a single lens that looks very much like a standard SLR lens. Still, bridge is probably the best term to describe said cameras since they are still "bridging the gap" between SLR and point and shoots. The ones I mentioned are bigger than a regular point and shoot for sure, but possibly worth it for the quality and bang for buck/pound.

Either way, I looked up some point and shoots that had respectable optical zooms and features in a more compact case. Got one from each of the brands I would trust. I'll post them in order of approximate cost:

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS - Approx £165

842847.jpg

Important Specs:

12.1MP
20x Optical Zoom
f/3.5 - 6.8
100-3200 ISO Sensitivity

Nikon Coolpix S9300 - Approx £216

842359.jpg

Important Specs:

16MP
18x Optical Zoom
f/3.2 - 5.8
125-3200 ISO Sensitivity
NOTE: This camera only shoots in 4:3 ratio.

Fujifilm FinePix F800EXR - Approx £216

883963.jpg

Important Specs:

16MP
20x Optical Zoom (68x Intelligent Zoom)
f/3.5 - 5.3 to f/16 (Tele Macro)
100-128000 ISO Sensitivity
NOTE: Supports RAW format, slightly larger CMOS sensor.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V - Approx £258

846283.jpg

Important Specs:

18.2MP
20x Optical Zoom (40x Advanced)
f/3.2 - 5.8
100-128000 ISO Sensitivity
NOTE: Supports SD and Memory Stick Duo

After looking through each of these offerings, I personally tend to lean towards the FujiFilm, it has the most features and a decent MP offering for the sensor.

I'd still prefer one of the cameras I mentioned before, but at least these wil give you some options between regular-ish sized point and shoots and the smaller bridge-type cameras from earlier.

Last edited:
I will be going to Jessops tomorrow or maybe Thursday in order to check some of these out.

I have also been looking at some Compact System Cameras such as the Lumix DMC-G3 and have to say that they are pretty appealing.

EDIT: Also, I am no longer considering any Fujifilms because they don't seem to be able to fix the "orb" issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom