Quad Core????

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^Ya, but games are typically written as single threaded cause its easier for the programmers to do it that way, and given most of the kids round here are part time novice gamers then you get the beliefs and attitudes that come with it.

perhaps but for us non-professional coders it is as easy as hitting a button to change the compilor to multi-threads and 64 bit. At least that is my expeciance with Basic.

A partial quote from tgdaily.com:
AMD used its second quarter conference call to calm analysts and answer Intel's challenge by announcing that it has accelerated its product strategy. According to president and chief operating officer Dirk Meyer, 65 nm processors will roll out in the fourth quarter of this year at "mature yields" and quickly spread through AMD's product line. The company also intends to decrease the manufacturing gap to Intel: 45 nm processors will be launched within 18 months after the debut of the 65 nm generation, which indicates an H1 2008 launch of those processors. Typically, Intel and AMD take about 24 months to transition to a new manufacturing process: With Intel being on track to introduce 45 nm in late 2007/early 2008, it seems that AMD will try to tackle Intel at the rival's core strength and may cut its current 12 month disadvantage in half.

Meyer also reiterated that AMD is working on a new processor core, which will debut as a native quad-core. Code-named K8L, the chip will launch by mid-2007 or more than half a year after Intel's Kentsfield and Clovertown quad-core processors. Compared to the competition, K8L is expected to consume significantly less power than Intel's quad-cores, which basically combine two dual-core processors into one package.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/20/amd_to_accelerate_roadmap_to_45nm/
Emphasis added.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it doesn't look so bleak to me.

And with the ATI acquisition...

Soooo....why's this in O-T?

*glares at his P3 933*

Now I remember why I stopped talking in the hardware forums....I got tired of drooling over all the new toys coming out.

There is a difference between writing a program with multiple threads and writing a program with multiple threads that are scheduled to be executed simulteanously in the same clock cycle though. For example, I've already stated I have a few hundred threads running right now, but the software is "stupid" and doesn't realize that more than one of those threads can be used at the same time

You may be writing simple executions with more than one thread but that doesn't mean they're being executed at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom