putting in old hdd without reformatting

rocksta828

Beta member
I have bought completely new parts for my tower except for my hard drive. I would like to know how to put my old hard drive in my new computer without reformatting. Do i have to have a certain program for it or can i do it right from the BIOS menu?

it might work but it would be much better to just backup what u want to keep and reformatt cause u would have all the old drivers on it and thats the only reason i can think of y it wouldnt work but try it and if it doesnt u r gona have to reformat

I think u must reformat. Though there could be an other way but atleast I have never heard of one.

as Dishdog says, windows (XP) won't like the change of hardware and won't work too great (if at all. I've done this with older versions of windows but really it just more trouble than it's worth. Time to format and reload

neochivers said:
it will not boot

Sometimes it will boot..... but prepare for some very pretty BSODs and hardware conflicts, not to mention the drivers would be for the wrong motherboard, causing corruption cross system.

Back
Top Bottom