Purchasing used computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

doucette17

Beta member
Hello,
Im buying a computer off my friend. Includes a LCD monitor, It has 64 AMD chip processor, 768 Mb of ram, 120 Gb harddrive, DVD burner and CD player, Geforce video card (released last year - unsure of the name), built in sound card - he says a custom one. I was just wondering if i could get some estimates on how much i should pay for this computer. If this is not enough information to go on, i will get more.
Thanks

first of all, how is it 768mb ram... oh! 512+256. ok, heres what i would say.

AMD 64 processor, need to know what number it is(3200, 3300, something like that) so i can look up the frequency (ghz).

the ram is ok, but if youre gaming, please list what games, because it will be inadequate for some.

120gb hd is fine, dvd and cd stuff is fine.

please ask what kind of GeForce video card it is, because that can vary from a $20 card to a $600 card :D

a built in sound card is not custom, as far as i know its fairly common, just built into the mobo.

unless hes some really crazy technophile who makes his own motherboards, its not custom.

if you can get more specific with the monitor, the processor, and the video card, i could give you a price.

how big is the monitor? like 15" or like 19" or what :D

-Phate

P.S. Welcome to TF :D

Needed:

• Case (make and model)
  • Mobo (make and model)
  • CPU (socket and number, 3000+, 4400+, etc.)
  • PSU (make and wattage)
  • Graphics card (make and model, as well as memory)
  • Monitor (make, size, response time)
  • Sound card (make and model)
  • One optical drive or two? Could be read either way.

well, with 768 of ram, i will assume that its not a great graphics card, and its a fairly cheap system.

since its your friend, and he obviosly doesnt want it, i would say in the $300 range, if not cheaper. probably like $100-$250 for monitor

-Phate

used computers

There's a pretty simple rule of thumb we apply to second hand computers and that's the fact computer speeds double each year. Consequently, we see it that if a computer is under 3 years old, it's value should halve every year of use/ life. Basically, if it was top of the range a year ago and top of the range now fetches say $800.00, then your computer is worth about $400 when it's a year old.... worse than the car industry.

Rgds Richard

HP vectra PC

Re: used computers

forevermac said:
There's a pretty simple rule of thumb we apply to second hand computers and that's the fact computer speeds double each year. Consequently, we see it that if a computer is under 3 years old, it's value should halve every year of use/ life. Basically, if it was top of the range a year ago and top of the range now fetches say $800.00, then your computer is worth about $400 when it's a year old.... worse than the car industry.

Rgds Richard

HP vectra PC

its not really a rule of thumb, its called Moore's Law; and it states that computer speeds (or "processing power") double every 18 months.. not 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom