psu ?

Oh, and to answer your original question, Yes. The Silverstone Strider ST1200 is a very good power supply. Silverstone makes a high quality product.

Oh, and to answer your original question, Yes. The Silverstone Strider ST1200 is a very good power supply. Silverstone makes a high quality product.

Cannot say I agree with you here.

Wow, these are the first video cards to push my 1kW Silverstone PSU to its limit.
Ater modding the second card, i got repetative system reboots at the exact same spot in canyon '06.
After a lot of testing each card seperately etc, i realised maybe my PSU was kicking, so i unplugged a water pump that was connected but doing nothing and suddenly i got stability again.
So now my whole water system for CPU is running on an el'cheapo POS PSU, and the system is finally ready for some volt modded benching.
Just trying to stabailise 860/1020 '06 now.

He was running 4870 x2 quadfire, which any 1000w (actually 840, silverstone does *that*) PSU should be able to handle no problem. (PSU calc says 640w assuming i7 920, typical system) This is not an isolated incident either, I have seen a few other people with similar issues. I imagine the ripple is pretty bad too, if a pump is separating bootable and non-bootable. Also, I would always say to avoid anything with 6 +12v rails if possible.

since your building your rig
look into a CrossFireX with 2 5870s :D
that will keep you happy for a while :D

since your building your rig
look into a CrossFireX with 2 5870s :D
that will keep you happy for a while :D

5870 is an epic ripoff if you know what you are doing. Here is what I recommend:

1.) get a reference model 5850 ( does not have to be reference but reference is guarunteed to work). Afaik, the manufacturers where you wil gt a reference model for sure are visiontek and his.

2.) use gpu-z to back your bios up. Next to bios info, there is a button that allows this. This step is very important if something should go wrong.

3.) acquire a bios from a reference model asus 5870. Techpowerup has an extensive database of vBIOSes, so you will most likely find it there.

4.) use atiflash to flash the 5870 bios onto your card, then reboot.

If all goes well, your card should now he detected as 5800 series, still with 1440 sp's but it will now run at the same clocks as a 5870. You can confirm this in gpu-z while a 3d applicaion is open. At the desktop, your clocks will be incredibly low because ati throttles it in order to save power and reduce heat. Performance should be increased by a pretty good bit, and your card will perform within 5-10% of a true HD 5870.

If something goes wrong and you end up with a black screen and/or the 'checkng nvram screen' then what you need to do is either put a different card in the top pci express slot, no crossfire bridge, with yours in the bottom, or remove the card, plug a monitor into the IGP (onboard graphics) and set the bios to initial the igp first. If the board is really old, you may not be able to do this, and will have to resort to the 2 card method.

Now, using the bios file you backed up, use atiflash to reflash the card back to stock. It should now be working again, and I suggest trying a different 5870 bios, since the one you got may have been corrupted.

I have not done this personally, but I have run into a few people who did it, and they all got good results.

Back
Top Bottom