PSU Requirements

Mangotango

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Was after a little advice really.

I'm currently running an AMD fx6100, one hard drive, one DVD drive, 8gb Ddr 3 and a hd5450 graphics card.

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics to a hd7770 but was wondering if my psu will be able to handle it.

Its not a well known make but it says 700watt, 38amp on one 12v rails.

Is that enough for my graphics upgrade, can't really afford to fork out on a new psu as well.

Thanks.

Thanks, I think the hd7770 I was looking at was a vtx xtreme version with one six pin connector but it doesn't state the power requirements

Thanks, I've already checked the specs page, it doesn't list the tdp for the card, just the recommended psu so I can't calculate the amperage requirement. I know pcs inside and out but psu requirements are my achilles heal so to speak, I can never convince myself that the specs are ok until I've had a second opinion. I know the idle power draw is 106watts but i don't know what it is under full load, which is my worry. Don't want the psu to blow after a few hours of decent gaming.

Ok so I checked my powr supply. It says 700watt and 38amp on the 12v rail. But when I do the maths. 38amps multiplied by 12v rating I get 456watts! When I do the maths in the opposite 700watt divided by the 12v I get 53amps! So what am I missing? Is it because its a cheap psu and its actually only 450watts continuous and 700 watt peak?

Back
Top Bottom