PSU question

Chiodos367

Beta member
Well, im building a new desktop. Specs-
12GB of 14400/1800mhz ram,
Intel i7 950 processor,
Rampage 3 motherboard
and two 6870 video cards.

Now, I was told I will need a 1k watt PSU. I am currently stationed in South Korea, and 1k watt power supplys go for about 250 dollars US here. Pretty pricey... Now for my question

I have [2] Power supply units, a 400w, and a 700 watt... Is it possible to use BOTH, one powering my motherboard, and the smaller one powering my drives, to achieve the needed power? my Computer case is a GMC h-100 Poong and has room for 2 power supplys, with adequate vents.

Thanks for your guys suggestions, and input!

Yes you can do both I've seen vids of people do 3 actually. I had to do this for my boss when he was building a computer. I did my research of youtube, but when matching cables make sure there compatible because different companies have different color coding for products. So what the green cable on one PSU might be something different on the other (unless they are from the same manufactures (sometimes not always)). Search google for "2 psu in 1 computer" and I read a lot of great things. And a tip for when you watch a YouTube video make sure you read the description because sometime they put revisions and corrections in there. I know this probably isn't what your looking for but let me know if this helped thanks

A 1 Kilowatt PSU is overkill for that system. I have two 5870's in CrossFire and I use an 850 Watt power supply, but could have been fine with a 750.

Folks always overblow Power supply ratings because they just don't know any better.

And combining two power supplies in this case is also overkill, and totally unnecessary. Just get a single 750 or 850 watt power supply. Corsair sells some nice ones for a decent price, as does Antec. As long as you avoid the cheap manufacturers, you won't need to shell out for a 1k PSU.

It's possible to wire them up with devices that can trigger both units at the same time, but it's clunky and totally the wrong way for something like this.

In all honesty, you can do it yourself with a homemade solution - you just have to connect a pin (paperclip for example) to the green and immediately adjacent black wire on a power supply motherboard connector and the PSU will turn on.

Back
Top Bottom