PSU Issues..

Im Going to a customers house tommorow and he told me that 1 week ago,he unplugged his PC because of an approaching storm,when he plugged it back in,it wouldnt turn on for a couple of hours (No power on at all) - And it's happend this time only it hasnt turned on for the past 36 hours.

Now,Im assuming i simply replace the PSU? Could it be anything else?

Make sure it's not a problem with the electricity. Sounds stupid I know. But, people overlook these things sometimes.

Like Rohan said, check and see if the power source is actually available.

Could possibly be a blown fuse, a dead wall outlet, etc. Make sure to try it somewhere else in the house, and make sure to check the main fusebox for a thrown/blown fuse.

Sell him a surge protector. Then he won't (read: shouldn't) have to unplug when a storm is coming if he's worried.

I get that feeling that since it was unplugged the problem is more likely the actual mains supply and less like the PSU, but definitely take a spare to try. If you're as hustle orientated as Will (or indeed i would be) make the sale on a surge/spike protector. Any good well specced pc should have one to keep it safe.

Well he already has a belkin surge protector (He just likes to be safe :p ) and everything on that surge protector works fine except the computer?

Well he already has a belkin surge protector (He just likes to be safe :p ) and everything on that surge protector works fine except the computer?

Well then, THAT'S a different story. That probably means that it is the power supply if everything else is working on the surge protector. Just to be sure, try the computer out on another outlet.

Also, is it possible to actually throw a fuse on the power supply? Or is this not possible?

EDIT: Neodude, just to clear something up. Your customer is claiming that he removed the power to his computer BEFORE a storm hit, correct? If so, it is pretty weird that it wouldn't work afterwards since nothing could have *technically* happened to the computer if it was unplugged. I'm just trying to understand how this happened.

Chris

Plug a lamp in to the same outlet. If it lights up the outlet is good.
Check the psu master power switch. My money is on he hit that and switched it off.

Back
Top Bottom