EXISTING PSU SPECS:
NMB Model # MJPC-300A1 Made 2003 Part#SN121J300PCW-1
+ 5V - 28A Max / +3.3V - 13A Max / +12V - 17A Max
-12V - 0.2A Max / +12VSP - 1.2A Max LPS Output
Aux - +5VB - 1.8A Max
+12V, +12VSP - Total 209W Max
+5V, +3.3V - Total 165W Max
DC Total - 295.4W Max

what kind of cards are good for me that are within the psu range? also i saw this card i like but has a minimum req 300W, will it work for me? and will this card :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145118, work?

What are the specs of the rest of your computer?

I don't see 300 watts getting you too far, with a graphics card. Not only would it not work, if it did, your system would be crutched with the limited power (ie; you might experience random reboots, sluggish CPU performance)

Oooh. Expensive looking.

If I were you, I'd just get a new PSU. It's the best way to go. Just get a good brand name like Antec or Enermax.

With 300W, you'd be cutting it pretty close. The very minimum you could go with is 300W if you were to get a decent vid card. However, a good policy is to go about 100W more than your minimum required power. That means you should be looking at 400W to 450W.

A PSU like this one would be nice:
OCZ ModStream OCZ45012U ATX/BTX/PCI Express/SATA 450W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104154

With a PSU like this you could go with a 6800GS or a 7800GS, which are some of the better AGP cards.

You're cutting it so close with that PSU you have now. Compaq probably put that PSU in for leeway for new RAM, a new CPU, maybe another hard drive, but I don't think they include a video card in that calculation...

In short, you need a new PSU, simply because if you don't get one, you'll most likely be pushing the PSU past it's limits with a video card, and that never makes good things happen.

P.S.: I wouldn't reccomend Thermaltake, Arumuni. They do make some okay PSU's, but they aren't very consistant in quality. They make a lot of lemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom