PS2 DVD to DVD-R copying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any app that can recognize a DVD burner should be able to copy just fine. I use Nero 6, Alcohol 120%, Disk Juggler, CD-RWIN, and a couple others can do it as long as they have a Copy DVD option (got have them all for various Dreamcast backups). Why people bother with DVD X Copy and other decryptors is beyond me though since PS2 games involve no encryption like movies.

Kermit007 said:
Why people bother with DVD X Copy and other decryptors is beyond me though since PS2 games involve no encryption like movies.

actually both ps2 and xbox have encryption on them, the way that they keep (most) people from being able to copt their games is they put gaps in the code and (normally) copy programs read them as scratches and try to repair them, but with a prog like alcohol 120% it will not try and repair, it will simply skip over it

About 120 DVD Based games to date for me and noda a one has failed one me (all but 20 of wich are straight backups). Even that time I accidentaly bumped the burner really hard (man Sony knows how to make a DVD burner). X-Box? Yes...you do have to do some goffy stuff to get at the game but the PS2 DVDs what gaps there are Nero and Alcohol pick up just fine.

right, but is there a way to put them on standard cd-rs instead of dvd-rs? and will i have to mod my PS2?

It is possible to put DVD based games onto CD-Rs. Hell I've seen someone put Xenosaga on two CD-Rs. How they could stand to play the game without any of the FMVs is beyond me though. It's just like the days of Dreamcast backups. You end up haveing to rip some things/compress other items if you can to make it fit. However unlike the dreamcast where it was a 1gig disk you had to strip down to 700MB you now have to deal with up to 4.37gigs (or about over 8gigs in Xenosaga's case) to strip down to even less now (620MB to be exact b/c of SM limitations. 3.0 MAY let you use the whole CD-R though). As for haveing to mod your PS2? It's not mandatory but it's highly recomended. However the mod for a SM disk is just the replacement of the top half of your PS2's case with something called a Flip-Top wich is disgustingly eaisy. The hardest part is not pinching the power/eject cable and the whole thing took me under 8 minutes to do even with the attrocious guide they send with flip-tops the first time I did one. Plus the added bounus of provideing less wear and tear on the ejection drive motor wich is so prone to falue since Sony was too lazy to actualy think how much work it would be doing (Sony even said it publicly in a hush hush fasion).

im just going to buy a dvd+/-rw, they are only like $150, and dvd-r are $50 for a 25 spindle

btw what is the best to put them on +r or -r or +rw or -rw, i heard somewhere that dvds will only work on +rw, is this just crazy?

-Rs seem to be your best bet for anything. +R works depending on your PS2 but -R tends to strain the PS2 less from my experience. If you want to save yourself some cash though I'd recomend buying 100 pack spindles from somewhere like meritline.com for $150. I use the Ritek 4x "certified" media, burn at 4x, and works flawlessly. It's the best media on the market for the price by far (also known as G04 media).

As for the +RW thing? Most PS2s can't even READ RW of any kind.

Research the drive you wanna get and media at dvdrhelp.com. It's got such a wide user base getting bad results is almost impossible.

Also if your looking for a STEAL of a deal check out this link.
http://www.slickdeals.net/#p3578
Optorite (actualy a rebadged Sanyo) 4x -/+ burner that also has HD Burn wich is utterly kick ass since it allows you to put 1.4gb onto a normal CD-R (only drives that can write HD Burns can read them from what I know). All with a sticker price of $133 with free shipping. Makes me almost wish I hadn't bought my Sony DRX510UL sometimes when I see a drive like that one with HD Burn go for a way low price.

ps2 games using a dvd-rw

So is there any way to use a dvd burner that is only capable of using dvd rw discs to make a backup of a ps 2 game

Do you need a mod chip installed to play PS2 DVD games?

Hey y'all
I got a question.
Do you need a mod chip to play PS2 DVD games?
Or a mod chip is only required when playing with PS2 VCD games?

Best Regard
Cheers

Any help would be appreicated.
Thx bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom