PS2 DRE (Disc Read Error) SCPH-50001

MikeReiner

Golden Master
System Model: SCPH-50001

Symptoms: Disc read errors from DVDs.
What works: CDs/Playstation1 games.

I've searched all over the place, and I can't find anything that helps with this particular model. All they have guides for is 30001 or something like that.

Supposedly sony is supposed to fix these all free, even with expired warranty, but I opened the stupid thing before that happened... so I doubt this applies to me.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? or should I just give up on any glimmering chance of hope and take it in the wallet and pick up a slim ps2?

As far as I know the first gen models are not fixable. Later gen's have a adjustable Laser lens on them that can take care of the problem. I found out the first series don't have a adjustable lens after speaking with some sony reps and some other shops. I looked online quite a bit but just decided to trash it. I'm sure if you were persistent with sony they may replace it though. Like I said though not positive on that I just bought a new slim one.

This PS2 is actually a newer type (before slim that is), which doesn't have the cog. My uncle's PS2 had the cog, I was able to adjust the laser and fix it.
His was a launch PS2.

i would give sony a call first, i tried adjusting the laser, very hard. another way to temporaily fix it is to take a q-tip\cotton swab dip it in rubbing alchohol and clean the lens directly, me and my brother literlly would play our PS2 with the cover off, because we had to clean the laser every time we wanted to put in a game, we would usually just keep it running, we even put a sign on it that said not to turn it off because my mom kept doing it, although it keeps getting worse and worse, the first clean you might get 10 days worth of restarts(once the game reads, it will work)after a while you will only get 1 restart per cleaning, then it will come down to several restarts after a cleaning to get it booted up.

Cleaning it didn't do anything. It was clean already.

This console plays Playstation1 games perfectly.. so I doubt the laser is dirty or bad.. needs to be adjusted some how. Will sony even look at it if it's been opened already?

Back
Top Bottom