Project Related Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds_rnk

Solid State Member
Interface LED's N LASER's With JAVA Via PRINTER Port

Need help in project........my project is controlling traffic depending on its density.......i.e i'll determine the density of vehicles by placing 3 sets of lasers separated by particular distances....i'll allow the heaviest/lowest traffic lane first or some what like that.....

well i'll explain it in detail to make it good for you to understand me.......and best me to get help from you

For this i want to connect these lasers and the signals (LED's) to the printer port (parallel port)....i'll be having 12-16 LASER's and 12-16 LED's...
Browsing the net i learned a bit about parallel port...like it has 8-data bits (output pins) and 5-status bits (input pins)....

My question is how should i connect this 12-16 LASER's to 5-Status bits and 12-16 LED's to 8-data bits...i know i'll need Multiplexers/ de-multiplexers but which one should i use where and what is the number/name of it.

I might need a 4:16 MUX and a 16:4 DMUX ...am i right???

Secondly if its so.....then for a multiplexer i'll need 4 address pins and a data pin...so which of the 8-data pins of parallel port (printer port) D0-D7 should i use as a data pin and which one all as address pins??

Well i'll be still left with the coding part (JAVA)......but i want to complete this first

PLz Help!!!

Thank you in advance

You need to use the microcontroller approach. You're getting in way over your head. I don't say that with arrogance, but you're making this much harder than it has to be. Not to mention, a microcontroller or PLC would be better suited to this problem because that's what a real traffic controller would use, not a desktop PC's printer port. This project could be done on a Basic Stamp 2 in less than 30 minutes. Use the right tool for the job.

You need to use the microcontroller approach. You're getting in way over your head. I don't say that with arrogance, but you're making this much harder than it has to be. Not to mention, a microcontroller or PLC would be better suited to this problem because that's what a real traffic controller would use, not a desktop PC's printer port. This project could be done on a Basic Stamp 2 in less than 30 minutes. Use the right tool for the job.

Are you sure......!!!

well i trust you on this....but you know its a bit risky to switch over......by the way i'll surely try to get my group members focus on this but will you help me out.......please

There's not much I can help out with across the internet. You'll need someone to give you hands-on advice and help in person. If this is a university project, you should consult your professor. They may have microcontrollers for you to use.

The Basic Stamp 2 is relatively simple to use since you basically just program a set of input pins and output pins. So, high level pseudo code would look like this:
Code:
loop indefinitely:
    if pin 0 is high then
       set pin 16 high
    else
       set pin 16 low

if pin 1 is high then
       set pin 17 high
    else
       set pin 17 low
Spend some time looking over the information in the link I provided in a previous post. I really can't be of much more help. At this point, you need someone to help you out in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom