Programming

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. I am new to this forum so...Hello:). I have a computer with Windows XP but I would like to experiment with a little 'computer' programming. Can someone tell me how I can and should begin? I have heard of DOS before and 'dos batch files' for example..but I do not think I can start in that way. Is there some kind of 'prompt' I can go to..or some way I can go about trying to create for example an 'algorithm' that does something on my computer?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Bye
SC

Last edited:
An algorithm is just how a piece of code works.

You can surely start out with batch programming if you like, but there are tons of other languages out there as well.

Batch programming is to automate certain tasks in Windows.
There's C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, etc.

Python and/or Ruby might be good starts if you want to do actual programming. Then you can move onto C++ or C# if you like.

I personally started with Linux bash scripting. It's more useful for a beginner than a C++ or Java program would be (ie, crontab, .sh automation, etc)

I use them to back up directories, change bulk file names, check for file duplicates, and so on.

I think your best bet would be to install Ubuntu through Wubi (or VirtualBox if that floats your boat) and try and use the terminal for a while. It's what I use 99.9% of the time to program... Two terminal windows, one running vim and the other running just the shell so I can compile and / or run programs.

And from my experience you'll find a LOT more material on bash scripting than batch scripting on the Internet.

Hello. Thanks for the responses. I am going to use at the moment "JavaScript" or use it a little. If any one knows JavaScript...could I think of it like the 'reveal codes' of a 'wordperfect' document'? Can you think of it as the 'hidden codes' in a web page? ( along with html? ) If you can..is there a way to see the 'hidden' codes in a basic web page that you encounter on the internet that are 'by default' hidden already?

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
SC

Back
Top Bottom