Programming Career

Kaotix

Baseband Member
I'm wanting to know more information on choosing computer programming as a career. I have little to no knowledge on programming or coding itself but would love to learn so im going to be enrolling at the local university here and was wondering if its worth the time and effort to become a computer programmer. What should I look into on the way to becoming one and the career paths available after I get my bachelor's degree. Median wages and any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

If you enjoy it it's a great thing to get into - definitely worth the time and effort if it's something you're going to persue.

In terms of tips - make sure you're learning things correctly from the start, and get into good habits from the start. Comment all your code appropriately and properly, don't fudge things and take pride in your code (make sure it's well written.) It's much better taking longer over something and doing it properly than taking half the time and producing completely rubbish, non maintainable code that no-one can understand. Just because something works doesn't mean it's a good solution.

Oh - and have fun! If you're getting really frustrated with something then take a step back and do something else, nothing will kill your desire to learn quicker than taking ages and feeling like you're getting nowhere. Come back to it later and you'll have a much higher chance of succeeding.

In terms of language advice - read my sticky post :)

Wages - they vary greatly, but be prepared to work your way up the ladder. If you get far enough however in the right field you can earn lots... and I mean lots.

Good luck with it, if you've any other questions just ask :)

Berry pretty much hit the nail on the head (his sticky is great too).

I just started an internship developing warehouse applications. The pay isn't bad (13.50 an hour) but it makes nice jump when I become a regular employee after graduation.

As for languages I use.... In school, we focus mostly on Java. At work, it's a mix of Java, C and C++. However, if you learn any of the ones that berry mentioned in that sticky of his, you should be able to find a job somewhere.

yeah no doubt java will be the first coding language i learn ^^ and c languages after that :). after that I hope to be a software enginner :D(50k-89k a year) thanks for the incouragement :) I guess my main reason for posting is for asking if you like programming? it seems like i would love because i love figuring out problems and puzzles.
Ps.edit. Nice! Disturbed :D

yeah no doubt java will be the first coding language i learn ^^
Good choice.
and c languages after that .
I wouldn't restrict it to "C" style languages - see (pun intended ;) ) where things take you rather than committing to something definite. Java will definitely see you out for years if you fully delve into it...
after that I hope to be a software enginner (50k-89k a year) thanks for the incouragement
Eventually - though don't expect to start out there! (Though I'm thinking in UK terms, may be different in the US?)
I guess my main reason for posting is for asking if you like programming?
I love it. It gets frustrating at times but overall I get a real drive from figuring out problems, working out design decisions and translating them into code. I also love it because it's a cheap hobby - anyone with a PC can download the JDK and get cracking on an application (as oppose to a lot of other things that come with considerable expense.)
it seems like i would love because i love figuring out problems and puzzles.
That's a very good mindset to be in. Especially with algorithm work a drive to solve puzzles and figure out problems is essential; it definitely won't go amiss.

Of course, you may start programming and find it's not for you; there's no shame or harm in that. But from what you've said so far it sounds like you could slot into it very well!

warehouse administrator or Data base administrator have good package in development and programming.
You should keep yourself in wharehousing !

Back
Top Bottom