processor question

dra2120

Baseband Member
I've been looking at processors for my build, but what is the difference between, a normal processor, a duo, and a quad?

Good questions I would like to know the answer also. I was told is has something to do with what you are running. Like with a duo u can run a computer game on one processor while running all ur windows programs on the other processor. If you had just one then you would be having a lot of programs running at the same time on one processor which will in effect slow the system down...i can be totally wrong but thats just what my thought was. :D

a normal or single core processor has only one path for data to travel where as a dual core has two and a quad core 4. dual means you could be running a virus scan on one part of the processor, and burning a dvd on the other part thereby causing no slowdown which you would have with a single core processor. and some programs are designed to use both cores so the program runs faster if you have a dual core. quad is a little overkill right now as not many programs are designed to use 4 cores of a processor.

Well...I guess in the easiest way possible, dual-core CPU's (Intel Core2Duo/AMD Athlon X2), I guess if you think about it are basically 2 CPU's in one package. Just think of a quad as a double-duo.

So with the dual or four paths, do you physically have to asign which part of the processor your using. or does it automatically switch between the different paths

It's just more then 1 processor in one thing. Faster. It automatically splits up.

heres a muy bueno picture..

dual-core-comparison.jpg

basically better performance

so even though most of duo processors i've seen run at a slower rate, they would still be faster than a higher rate single?

Back
Top Bottom