Processor Overheating

chougard

In Runtime
I cleaned the dust out of my computer today. After I was finished, the CPUs temp was a constant 170F. Before I cleaned the dust out it would be between 110F - 120F. The fan was working. I then unplugged the computer, unplugged the fan and plugged it back in, and reset the CMOS. I then tried to turn my computer back on but it ran for about one second and shut off.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how I can fix it?

Recheck all connections, wires and cables. Make sure you plugged the CPU fan into the correct header. Check to make sure the memory, video cards, etc., are fully inserted into their slots.

I managed to get the computer to start by unplugging it and plugging it back in. The temperature starts out at 70C now and then slowly goes up to the highest temperature and then doesn't change anymore. The fan speed is between 2057 and 2083RPM.

Did you knock the heatsink at all? It's possible you've dislodged it from the processor slightly which would result in poor heat conduction and high temperatures.

What is the highest temperature it hits?
I don't know. The computer is turning off now before windows can finish booting. It is doing that even when I disable the automatic power off at temperature setting.

Did you knock the heatsink at all? It's possible you've dislodged it from the processor slightly which would result in poor heat conduction and high temperatures.

THANK YOU! I pushed on one of the clips and it isn't locked in anymore. Do I have to reapply thermal paste?

Some processors (especially Intel) will shut themselves off at a high temperature regardless of BIOS settings. It's a safety feature and stops the CPU being damaged, you don't want to override that. You might be able to boot up into windows, but only briefly before the CPU gets fried.

My advice would be to try and resit the heatsink. disconnect it from the motherboard (it's usually either in the form of push plugs or screws) and then remove it from the cpu. Clean the old thermal paste off, put a new, thin layer on, re-attach and try again.

Back
Top Bottom